Fly Rods, are they overpriced?

S

steve watson

Rob thats strange they were expensive because over here they arent.Cortland are the people that market them and cortland stuff usually isnt expensive atall over here.Do you think it was maybe the rip off britain concept coming into play?People importing and trying to make the big buck today and not thinking about the future?You could buy a 9ft 5 weight with a STH cassette reel and weight forward floating cortland line all for about $200 that to me wasnt expensive just for the quality of the rod itself.

R

Ron Clay

I remember the Diamondbacks very well. They were good sticks, but ver expensive in UK.

What gets me is the price that Hardy sells for in the States compared with UK. Up to 40% less taking the rate of exchange into consideration. Here's another one for you: Airflo Intermediate clear line weight 7, made in Wales, UK price: ?44.00. South African Price, R221.00, thats ?22.00 near enough. Makes you think, don't it?

R

Rob Brownfield

I could use many words here that my mother would be upset about!! If i remember rightly, the Diamondbacks were around the ?300 mark.
As for Hardys...well..says it all really. I spoke to there northern rep about this. Basically, they have to give heavy discounts in the States because the yanks dont like Hardys. They would rather spend 500 dollars on an American rod than a British rod, especially since the American rods are better built (God strike me down for that).
As u will see, I have a slight bias away from Hardys. Sorry for that.

R

Ron Clay

Yes, the American rods ARE better built. However Greys come very close to the USA quality. One thing that worries me is that Greys were recently purchased by Hardys and that possibly Hardys will start forcing Greys into their own marketing ploys such as producing rubbish with fancy cosmetics at ridiculous prices.

S

steve watson

Well guys i dont understand why in the uk everything is priced so high.You do realise its not just the fly rods its all the gear ,shimano reels etc are half the price you pay over there.I still think its the old make a killing today syndrome and forget tomorrow we might not be in business.Pretty much the mindset that ruined the british car industry.You ever notice when you go to an english restaurant you sometimes still feel hungry?Well over here you always leave a restaurant guts just about to split.So which restaurant would you go back to?If people realised and just gave people value for money they would sell more and hey presto your business is on the up and up.I sometimes ramble a bit to make my point but do you see what i mean? For gods sake some places in the uk charge you 50p for a slice of bread and butter.

R

Rob Brownfield

I know this is strange...but the price of rice shocks me. In the far east, you can buy 5 kilos of rice for around 70p, Tescos last night, ?3 for a kilo!!!
Grrrr....
And potatoes..and carrots, and salad..ghrrrrr...u are right...I am leaving the UK for good!!!

M

Martin Wright

I think Hardys have improved of late
I recently brought a Gem smuggler 8ft6in since I travel and it seems pretty good - nice action for a 6 piece and well finished - all I,ve got to do now is catch a fish on it !
It cost ?380 which is ?200 cheaper than the Sage equivalent and it's British made
All in all though we are being ripped off at the quality end of the market - the same as paying over the odds for 'designer' clothes I suppose.

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

Ron seems to be 'plugging' the Greys brand of fly rods? He's not sponsored like Martin is he?
As a pro rod builder, I see lots of different blanks from around the world, some 'good', some 'bad'. What IS good and what IS bad??? This is all subjective to what you want in the rod 'action'. Some like a stiff blank, whilst others prefer a softer 'feel'.
In my considerable experience the stiffer actioned fly rods are not suited to beginners or improvers, but more experienced 'casters' prefer the stiffer rods because they can 'load' the rod by virtue of getting more line in the air. The brand names generally banded about include Sage (generally unreliable because of the thin wall sections), Hardy(Ron hates 'em, but likes Greys??) Orvis(rumour has it that the blanks now come from China)-(as do some of the Greys rods), Loomis (seem to have the highest regard from most quarters but over priced for what's involved).
I build most of my fly rods on Harrisons blanks (who)? A very good British blank maker based in Liverpool. Never heard of them? Well they make blanks for some very respectable rod builders from around the globe, needless to say the list is confidential. They wouldn't be able to charge so much if people knew that their Gti, Xti, M62 fly rod started life near the pierhead in Liverpool.
I am going to leave this thread for now and see what 'pops-up'in the near future folks.

R

Ron Clay

No I don't get sponsored like Martin, I wish I did. I always, however, give credit where it's due, and I would always try to purchase a British product.
I used to make all my own rods on Sage and Fenwick blanks. This was in the days when you couldn't get the design handle and reel fittings you wanted (terrible down locking reel seats) and there were too few of the wrong type of guide on the rod. Thank goodness due mostly by the writings of **** Walker in the early eighties, fly rod handles and fittings are much better

R

Rob Brownfield

Colin, I agree with u, Harrisons are a good blank! I know Greys are now owned by Hardys (did u know that Ron) but all my Greys rods are pre take over.
I agree with what u say about whats good/not good. I know guys who have picked up a ?40 Daiwa and shot a full line, then picked up as ?400 sage and struggled. I for one prefer a faster, but *alive* action (loomis...grrr) and one of my favourites is the old Norboron from Normark. They are craking rods!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Sorry Ron...so u did :0)

Hardy have a habit of swallowing smaller firms that make better quality products! Dare I say it, much like Daiwa!! Remember Brennen and Hickman luggage???..Daiwa bought them and closed them down!

R

Ron Clay

Unfortunately its part of modern business strategy to swallow up any smaller competitor who is making a better product.

I hope this doesn't happen to Greys. I have been assured that it won't but I don't trust companies like Hardys as far as I can throw them.

Hardies have a name that enables them to put it on any sort of rubbish and sell it because of the name.

S

steve watson

I know this is against the thread but are any rivers open for fly fishing?Im coming back to the uk on april 27th and wondered if its worth bringing my fly gear.I dont much care for stillwaters .Prefer running water.Ta in anticipation Steve

A

Alan Roe

Just a couple of minor points..Firstly Martin no longer has any connections with Greys.
Steve I cannot speak for the rest of the country but here in the North West the rivers are closed due to f&.m regrettably.
Please remember chaps rods are only a delivery vehicle.....Far more important is the driver!

R

Ron Clay

And the line!!

No trout streams open in Derbyshire as far as I know either

S

steve watson

Thats a bummer, was looking forward to going on the Dee at LLangollen,excellent at this time of year,good around Bala too.Never mind i supose ill have to spend mot of my time in the ale house!!Any way back to the original topic,i had a shakespeare president 6-7 weight 9ft which was an excellent rod for the price[about80 quid 7 years ago]but some nice person in gatwick opened my rod tube and snapped 6 inches off.In a regular rods case that wouldnt matter but it really makes a difference ina fly rods action . Shame is you cant get them anymore.By the way fenwick rods are really cheap over here and to be quite honest i dont like em.

R

Rob Brownfield

Steve, come to Scotland...money talks...u pay the money, u can fish anywhere....and sod the poor farmers!!

G

Goose Ganderton

Hi all
I am looking to buy a couple of fly rods this year and would like to know what make you would reccomend for say ?100 per rod.