fly suggestions

R

Richard Baker

I have recently taken to fly fishing for dace on one of my local rivers when I haven't got the time to get out of London to a decent trout water. I am having trouble with a particular shoal of dace in very fast water. I am having great difficulty getting a fly down deep enough promt a take. I can see the fish clearly and the only takes I get are when the fly is around 8 inches from the river bed. The water is so fast though that the fly is often out of the swim before it reaches this depth. I have tried heavier flies such as gold head pheasant tails but the flies heavy enough seem to large for the dace and they only seem to nip at the fly instead of taking it properly. The ideal fly would be around a size 12-14 and very dense. any suggestions.

J

Jon Leckie

It might seem a bit odd but often i find that a couple of split shot BB size pinced on the leader about 6" fron th efly will get the fly down.

beware however it can be a bit of a pig to cast

hope this helps

R

Ross Turner

Why dont you try the pattern you are using but get someone to tie some up but making them leaded.That will get the flies down without the need to pinch shot on.

R

Richard Baker

Dear Jon and Ross,

Thanks for your suggestions. The split shot idea could work as the cast is not huge due to the fish being at very close range. The pattern I was using was a chezch nymph. Can these sort of flies have lead added to them in the smaller sizes. Does anyone know where I can buy very dense chezch nymphs online?

Cheers

Rich

R

Ross Turner

Have a look in flyfishing & fly tying at the back you will find fly tyers who will tie you any patterns you need & to your spec at a resonable price.

G

Gerry Castles

Richard,
Just noticed this thread. You don't want dense flies for dace in fast flows, you need sparcely tied flies. The denser the fly the more bouyant it becomes. You really need small stalking flies with little plumage. you might try taking your scissors to some of your 'not quite right 'flies and reduce the dressing to see if they get down faster. Make sure the last two feet of leader have plenty of sinkant.