fly tying help

S

Steven Hills

Hi all,
I'm new to all this trout fishing mullarky, good fun innit..
What i'm looking for is a good instructive book on fly-tying, not so much on patterns, but on all the various techniques used and what materials to use etc.

Thanks in advance
steve

T

Terry Mann

Steven,
One of the best books I read when I started fly tying was by a lady called Jacqueline Wakeford. The book called Flytying Techniques was published by Blacks and had brilliant pictures and instructions on all the main techniques for beginners through to the more advanced.
However one of the best ways to learn is to look for a night class at your local college or join the Fly Tyers Guild and go along to their tying evenings.
Best of luck Terry

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Steven,
How's it going? Eaten all those trout yet? Have a word with Richard at Shelton's he will put you onto somebody local. Failing that I think "clever Trevor" at Rutland lodge gives lessons.
Colin

S

Steven Hills

Colin,
Nice fish yum. Not had much chance to go out for more, hopefully i'll put that right next week, are you doing any bank trips at rutland shortly?? let know and i may tag along.
Cheers for the tying advice.
Steve

I

Ian Whittaker

I agree with Terry on the book it is very practical. I got a copy from a clearance store fore ?7!

R

Rob Jones

Hi Steve,

If you want the definitive book, then go for 'The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference' by Leeson & Schollmeyer.

It costs around ?80 but it'll be the only 'How to . .' book you'll ever need if you're serious about tying your own. Worth the money IMO.

Clear, concise and comprehensive.

S

Steven Hills

Thanks Terry,Ian.
I now have a copy of Jacqueline's book winging it's way to me.
Your a lucky git Ian mine cost a darn site more than ?7 !!!!!!!!!!

80 quids a bit steep at the minute Rob, but i'll keep it mind if i find a book sale.

Thanks for help chaps much appreciated.
Steve

R

Ron Clay

I agree with your choice. Jaque Wakeford's book is the best I have ever seen. Very underrated.

T

Terry Porter

Steven,
Tom Ivens wrote an excellent book on
Trout fishing & fly tying with other intresting facts included and people called it the Trout Anglers bible try and get it,failing this do as others state join a fly dressing class,you will be surprised at the different worlds that it opens to you,all which will give you the knowledge
you seek, It also gives you the chance to make new friendships, but may I add if at any time you are stumped on any issue get in touch by e-mail and I will
try to assist,Cheers Terry

S

Shaun Roberts

try "the book" salmon, trout sea-trout flies by jimmy & gloria younger from sportfish ?6.95