Fly Tying Vise

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm needing a bit of help choosing one of these. A female friend has asked me to pick one out on ebay/online for her, but I haven't a clue.
She's caught a fair few fish on my gear over the years, picked up some fly tying material in a ts on a whim a while back, looked at the flies and found them beautiful (it was that kind of shop) and, being artsy and crafty in a pleasingly bonkers kind of way (think drawing, painting, origami, taxidermy...) has decided she'd like to tie some.

So. Any suggestions of what/how to choose? I need something that's a) not so cheap and featureless it's useless b) not so dear it's wasted on a beginner who might not stick with it.

For want of any better advice to give, I've suggested starting with bigger hooks and copying pike flies; it must be so much harder using small hooks?

seth49

Reaction score
These are very good for the price, I’ve had one for years, still use it when I’m tying rigs and hook lengths, and it was good when I was tying flies as well.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks Keith - that's very reasonable and could be just the job.

@Clive

Reaction score
What is your friend intending to use the flies for Kev? Pike flies are easier to tie as you say, but cost a lot more per item and are not easy to cast unless you use beefed up gear that will be too heavy to use for trout.

Streamer flies are a good pattern to start with and can be used for trout and perch as well as sea fish like bass and pollack. Long shank hooks of 14 to 10 and some bead heads made from brass to add weight on some of the flies will do as a start. Then dependent on colours preferred some Maribou feathers, tying thread and body materal. She can make ribbing material by stripping an electrical cable for the thin brass wire. Nail varnish will secure the thread.

Don't forget the tools though. Two pairs of scissors, one fine for thread, one coarse for quills and ribbing. A bobbin holder makes life easier and a whipping tool to finish the thread off and lock it.

Clousers are a good pattern to tie for the first time and they are a reliable fish catcher.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I tied my own flies for years ( trout and sea trout) until I ran out of boxes to put them in and realised I had enough to last me two lifetimes. Personally I’d go for a side lever vice and a stand to put it in…..I never trusted those things that clamped onto the table. I started with entry level stuff and ended up with a Dyna-King….superb vices but expensive and maybe not for beginners. There are side lever vices at reasonable prices though.
Bobbin holders ( ceramic are best) and you must have good scissors. Dr Slick take some beating if they’re still around.
It’s an extremely absorbing hobby and very, very satisfying. Sadly I don’t think my eyesight is good enough any more.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, all.

I had to look up the "lever" bit.
I'll pass on the tools advice.
I don't really think she plans to fish with the flies - although you never know - or whether I might end up with some pike or carp fly kit one day. I think it's an attraction to their particular kind of beauty and a taste for intricate craft. A hobby that's been quite lucrative for her is painting miniature models, the sort involved in fantasy games playing.

I'm pleased to see a recommendation for an affordable start. At that price she can give it a try and if she doesn't take to it, there's no great loss.

@Clive

Reaction score
Hope it works out for here. Good quality hand tied flies always fetch a premium over the mass produced ones. She could do worse than look on abebooks.co.uk for a cheap, as in two quid plus postage, fly tying manual.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I've recently watched a few youtube vids regarding making simple Mackerel feather type lures and also salt water sand eel type flies that can be cast out using the help of a Bombarda type float as used for carp surface floating bait fishing, as I'm planning a few trips to Anglesey when spring arrives and would like to give new things a go. tempted to get one of these Veniard vices for that price and have a try at tying some myself.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hope it works out for here. Good quality hand tied flies always fetch a premium over the mass produced ones. She could do worse than look on abebooks.co.uk for a cheap, as in two quid plus postage, fly tying manual.

Just looked on there, and the one that came up, £2.35 inc post, is by Tony Whieldon, who did the graphics for Dave Coster's Anglers Mail articles. Here's one from the roach and chub heyday of one of my local rivers. I passed on that suggestion to her.

tw6.jpg

tw9.jpg

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
''Is that a youg Jerry in the Middy vest?''

Looks like the Notts angler Jan Porter.

Keith M

Reaction score
The first speech bubble (in the very first picture) confirms it was Jan Porter.

I have this book myself and it has a section on fishing the GUC at Lady Capels near Watford which was a brilliant section of canal that I used to fish with my mates; and where many good open and club matches were fished in the past.

I might have a go there again this season the see if it’s quality Chub and Roach are still there in numbers.

Keith