flying fishing for carp

I

ian jay

Alan

Yes, thay are the same species of barbel. The hotspot is a river that used to be a course water area, now designated fly fishing, so there is plenty of action!

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
Just for the record my definition of fly fishing is this. It is setting out to catch a fish( of any species)using a fly rod and line, presenting an artificial food item without the use of baits. Therein lies the challenge to me and it is a purely personal viewpoint that i don't expect everyone to share. It's just the same when i go lure fishing for pike, it's the challenge of catching a fish within a set of guidelines that sets the challenge for me. It's just a personal thing but i enjoy the different challenges that different methods present. If i set myself the challenge of catching a decent chub trotting with a pin then if i achieve that then that fish is always just a bit better than the others to me. Unfortunately rightly or wrongly distinctions are made in fishing and anyone who knows anything about the fly scene in the uk today knows that the use of bait is not allowed on any serious fly only fishery. I am not promoting these distinctions just stating facts. Like i said flyfishing isn't defined by species of fish it is defined by ones own perspective of personal challenge. Let each man decide for himself.

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Pike fishing on the fly is a growing area of fly fishing. The only criteria to fly fishing is that a fly is used and a fly rod is used. Unfortunately I have never gone pike fishing on the fly but it is something I would love to do.
I don't think there are many pike venues in Surrey are there??

Chris

K

Keith Hickman

I don't want to get into definitions but would like to have a go at catching carp using a fly rod and line with a cork ball. What I need to know is will a 10 foot rod with an 8-9 action be strong enough for carp to around 12lb? What strength leader would you use? Any help wpould be welcome.
Keith