flying fishing for carp

Neil Bennett

Reaction score
Hi all, Just thought I will see if anyone else fly fished for carp. I tried it last saturday and we had a good afternoon fishing. There was 4 of us fly fishing and we caught 19 carp between 6lb and 12lb. I couldn't believe what a good feeling it was to have a afternoon like this. All the other anglers weren't catching and I felt daggers everytime we caught one. Never mind we will be doing this again very soon. Let me know if anyone else has done it as we are looking for other lakes to go to. I live in Derbyshire. Just one thing the carp are better fighters than the trout by far.

Neil Bennett

Reaction score
I was using a size 8 hook with 2 8mm cork balls on the hook and flicking out a few pond pelletts every 5 minutes. just make sure you the cork balls are just on the hook and super glue them on, otherwise you will block the gap and you wont be able to get the hook in to the fish. The cork ball nearest to the hook eye just dab a bit of bright orange so you can see it in the water(Just makes it easier to see it) Good luck you will enjoy

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
I'm sorry to rain on your parade but you are confusing Fly fishing and fly rodding. They are not the same thing at all. What you have done is present an artificial bait on a fly rod in conjunction with actual food items. Now don't get me wrong what you have been doing is fine by me and great fun too. But it is still in essence coarse fishing and this is a game fishing forum. To say you have caught a carp on the fly indicates that you have caught one on a buzzer/nymph or dry without the aid of baits. The method you described could have been achieved using a floater set up on a carp rod with a controller float or freelining. I am not trying to do anyone down but i feel it's important that anyone who reads this thread who is interested in fly fishing understands the basic difference in approach. cheers and tight lines.

Neil Bennett

Reaction score
That is true but the feel of a carp on a fly rod is 100 times better than a trout. If you tried this on a float soon as you cast out and land it near the carp you would spook them. Doing it by fly fishing you dont. Don't knock something you haven't tried. We have about 9 fly fisherman in our group and we all fish for carp like this, it is so much better and fun.

Thanks for your comment

This thread was for people who wants to try something new and who are getting bored with trout like we are, but we love fly fishing and this has put the sparkle back in to it.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
I am glad you are catching fish and having fun. If you read my post again it quite clearly states that i am not knocking anyone or anything. In fact i would quite like to give it a go myself. I just thought it was important to state the difference. all the very to you.

G

Gerry Castles

Sorry Alan as someone who has flyrodded or flyfished for everything from sailfish down, I don't think 'important' is an operative word in this case. Trying to operate a distinction or some kind of artifical barrier is pointless. It merely generates the snobbery that other anglers see as the curse of the tweed clad classes. How would you describe flyfishing, something that only involves trout, salmon and grayling? Or something that only involves an artificial fly ? If I were to use (and I do) a larger than average 'fly' for pike fishing how does that automatically become flyrodding and if we accept it's about the use of fly imitations then how do you classify using fry and prawn imitations for 'gamefish' (gulp! there I've said the 'g' word) Pike flies are usually large uncreaturelike lures which could not really be called a fly by any stretch of the imagination and we call it Pike flyfishing.
Pick up a fly rod with a fly line and go after whatever species takes your fancy and call it whatever you like. You might be unceremonially booted off the Test and the Itchen for wearing the wrong garb, casting in the wrong direction or having the wrong species dog in attendance but who gives a stuff. Since Neil used an artificial 'fly' in the middle of natural baits, I see little difference between casting a tied mayfly into the middle of a streamload of naturals during duffers fortnight. You are probably on the wrong forum Neil, but enjoy your flyfishing, now I'm off to nail some rudd on a breadflake fly.

B

Barry Kneller

Alan, how about fishing a booby on a Hi D line with a 2' leader, is that not legering for trout with a fly rod?

And fishing a team of, maybe, 6 flies under a 'blob' - seems very like float fishing for trout to me. However If you tried float fishing with 6 separate hooks & baits on any coarse fishery in the UK you'd be invited to 'go forth & multiply' PDQ.

Gerry, not seen any posts from you on the pred list lately - will you be going to SWP on the 20th?

D

Dave Rothery

natural imitations like the "pellet fly" we used to use around the cages at bewl....

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
It seems i've touched a raw nerve here. The reason i thought i would mention the difference as i saw it was because of an earlier post where some one was asking about using pellets on a trout lake. you know and i know that would have landed him in trouble and i thought it important( and i still do) just to clarify the methods used. Not everyone on these forums is an experienced angler you know. As for being posh or snobby if you knew me you would be laughing as much as i am at the the thought. I am working class and proud of it, i flyfish and i coarse fish, have done since i was 10. My dress code is jeans and t shirt when i fish regardless of venue. I've got no time for elitism anymore than you have. Fishing is fishing to me and i abide by the rules on any given fishery for whatever species. As for all the rest of this method is really this or that, i don't know or care if it is. I fish to have fun. You have your opinions i have mine . Good luck to all i say and i wish everyone many fish filled days ( bait and fly). cheers

I

ian jay

Here in Czech, they fish for Barbel with the fly. It must me the nearest experience to catching a fit Salmon.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
I read an article about a year ago where they caught barbel and bream etc while rolling nymphs in czech'. Looked like a lot of fun to me. Are these the same barbel species we have ?? Hard to think of a venue i know of where you could try it over here.

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
I think the distinction between fly fishing and fly rodding is an important one. The very definition of 'fly fishing' dictates that the original post was not about fly fishing. Fly fishing is using an artificially created fly or lure made from feathers and other materials. It does in most cases represent something found naturally in the trout's diet.

It is easy enough, and I have done it, to catch trout on the fly which is fly fishing. Carp will take big bushy dry flies from the surface if they are retrieved slowly.

If you were to go along to a fly fishing only water and employ the methods described in the original post I would bet my last pound that you would either get shot at or banned from the fishery.

Chris

G

Gerry Castles

Its an artificial and totally meaningless distinction which could be shot down very easily. Is catching carp on traditional flies not flyfishing ? some would say no because flyfishing is apparently all about game fish and a carp isn't a game fish. Do the flies always represent what's in a trouts diet? of course not. When was the last time you spooned a fritz booby from a trout's stomach?

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Fritz Boobies, whilst not necessarily being imitative, represent a smaller fish. When trout are in the breeding season are become territorial they will kill any smaller fish (within reason) in the territory - especially brown trout which are more teritorial. This is why the Fritz Booby is succesful, not because it imitates anything in particular, merely it sugegsts a lot of things.

The most popular and also most succesful flies are not those that imitate anything. Merely they suggest a wide range of food items found in the trout's diet. Probably the best example of this is the Pheasant Tail Nymph. This fly in itself does not imitate a particular food item, merely it suggests various items including but not limited to the callibaetis nymph. The Pheasant Tail Nymph will work all year round as it suggests items which are in season throughout the year.

Dry Flies tend to be much more imitative than suggestive. This is why more care needs to be taken in finding out what the fish is feeding on before 'matching the hatch'.

'Fly fishing' with trout pellets is not imitative or suggestive. You are merely feeding the fish.

Chris

G

Gerry Castles

Vhrtis he was using 'artificial' pellets not the real thing.

D

Dave Rothery

surely pellets are more the most natural food to most trout.......or are we all fishing for wild brownies on chalk streams?

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Pellets are not a natural food source to trout. In fact they are anything but natural. The fact that they are fed on fish farms these pellets does not make them natural. They are manufactured and therefore not natural. Trout get so dependant on eating these pellets that they don't feed on anything else in the fish farm.

When a trout is stocked in a fishery it will lose 10% of it's body weight within 24 hours of being stocked. Why? Because the trout does not recognise anything found in the fishery itself as food. Only after 24 hours will it start feeding on natural foods.

After a short period of time of being in natural surroundings (i.e the fishery) a trout will not come to the surface for a pellet. It does not recognise the pellets as natural food as it obviously isn't.

Baiting a fly by throwing in attractant such as pellets to 'make the fish bite' is against generally accepted fly fishing etiquette. I am by no means a purist, I will pull lures when I have to but I know where the line is.

Chris

D

Dave Rothery

its even easier to get a take from a trout angler than a trout!