Frozen maggots are they any good?.

Tree123

Reaction score
Im planning on doing a lot of fishing for perch with livebait minnows.
I will only need to catch a few for use for a few hours hours fishing. For which i dont see the point the in going ro tackle shop to get maybe 1/4 pint maggots.
So im hoping to just buy a couple of pints and then freeze them down. To grab when i need them
Do frozen maggots work will trotting them and as i say looking to just catxh minnows and small roach.

rayner

Reaction score
Why use maggots, bread punch will do just fine to catch small fish. Just nick a slice or two from your bead box.
(bread)

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
In short...yes.
Being a round trip to a tackle shop of about 40 miles makes sense to buy in bulk and freeze the maggots.
I am certainly no Ivan Marks but I catch a fish now and again. Often on frozen maggot.

Molehill

Reaction score
Or a good old fashioned minnow trap like we had as kids, made out of a glass bottle, I imagine a modern plastic bottle would be even easier to make and add a bit of weight to hold it down.

john step

Reaction score
There are various ways to freeze them, off hand I cant recall the best way to do it, Google or members on here should be able to tell you.

Just buy them without the added maize meal. Decant into sandwich bags. Squeeze air out and tie a knot. Freeze whilst alive. Freeze small batches for this minnow purpose. Minnows aint fussy.

Tree123

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I tried to make a minnow trap before and it never really worked which why i find it easier to catch them

rayner

Reaction score
The best way I've found to freeze maggots is to bag them with a tightly knotted bag and leave until they are dormant in the bag the freeze. If you freeze maggots while they are still wriggling you can get stretched maggots that aren't good. If you are going to try maggot then for smaller fish in summer pinkies could be better.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I’m in agreement with all, but just to add if it’s minnows for bait use then using a trap will keep them in better condition than the additional handling of catching on hook. Plastic bottle traps are very easy and safe to make. I freeze maggots in small batches as I mainly use them for short winter sessions, adding some curry powder before freezing gives them an extra flavor boost as they thaw and are very effective for perch and roach, but you come home smelling like you’re the chef in the local Indian restaurant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tree123

Reaction score
I’m in agreement with all, but just to add if it’s minnows for bait use then using a trap will keep them in better condition than the additional handling of catching on hook. Plastic bottle traps are very easy and safe to make. I freeze maggots in small batches as I mainly use them for short winter sessions, adding some curry powder before freezing gives them an extra flavor boost as they thaw and are very effective for perch and roach, but you come home smelling like you’re the chef in the local Indian restaurant!

Ibve made trap before but never caught anything in them. I must be doing something wrong.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Ibve made trap before but never caught anything in them. I must be doing something wrong.

It’s a bit like all fishing, you have to fish where the fish are! I put my traps next to structure or tucked under overhangs. And a bit of bait around the trap can help too. Fortunately/unfortunately my local river is well populated with minnows.
PS another trick is to catch a couple on road and line and them to the trap before setting.
Minnow trapping can be as absorbing as worm hunting!

Richox12

Reaction score
The easy part is freezing. Riddle them, put into a bag and bung the bag in the freezer. Keep for months.

Thawing is THE important part. Empty frozen block of maggots into WATER. Do NOT thaw in the bag or in air. That will be a disaster.