fry up tonight......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Walking back from the Colne tonight I was walking along the bank of a local pit which has sadly declined as a silverfish venue due to bird predation. It does however hold bream ,carp, perch and tench. I noticed some disturbance on the surface and saw big shoals of 1 inch long fry up on the surface, occasionally they were scattered by what I presume were jacks or big perch. My local knowledge made me think they were perch, anyone else seen this baitball effect if so which species do you think these were?

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hi Peter i now and again see these balls of fish on my local and they are always perch

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've seen the much the same on a water that I used to fish, there were perch driving the fry into the shallows. I didn't have any spinners, so I used some lobworms that I had injected with air to make them float. I had over a dozen perch all between two and three pounds.

I went back the next week with some fly gear and fry imitations, thinking that I would murder them in the margins and in the mean time there had been a cold snap and I didn't get a sniff of a perch. I was surprised at the aggression with which the perch attacked the fry in the margins they were throwing themselves clear of the water in their efforts to get away.