gags

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayner

Reaction score
So with my last question being virtually ignored, I suspect it was too obscure.
I thought I'd try another.
Why do pikers not like gags for unhooking pike? I am not intending to hook any pike, I know that would be a stretch to think I will not.
I've been told they are not a liked method. is this true and why. Are they illegal? or not.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I did wonder about a gag when I read your last thread Gary.

I'm not exactly sure if they are banned or just frowned upon these days as thought to be unkind to the pike. I'm am not and never will be a predator angler so totally unsure.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
They were deemed to cause Pike unnecessary damage as the pointed forked ends would be pushed against the upper and lower jaws of the Pike and forcing the jaws open, although most people that used them would mask the pointed bits off with tape, they were also deemed to be unnecessary too as there are more easy and humane ways to open the pikes jaws. You used to be able to buy different sizes of gaff but most anglers would use the large one even on the smaller Pike, which could seriously damage a small pikes jaw when it was forced open.

I thought they were banned back in the 80s and removed from tackle shops; they were certainly banned in all of the Angling clubs that I knew and my local water authority (the TWA) back in the early 80s.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Putting Fish welfare to one side which has already been covered the other issue your going to find with a Gag Rayner is that they don’t actually work very well anyway.

I used one as a kid when I was first starting out Pike fishing as my mate had one and on paper it sounded great but in practice they were awful. The problem is that first you have to get it into the Pikes Mouth and that in itself is not an easy task and needs two hands. One to try and prize open the Pikes mouth and the other to get the Gag into it.

The second problem is to get them into the right position in the Pikes mouth. The gag does not sit nice and straight as you might expect but always goes askew so the Pikes mouth never really gets to open as you would think and even if you manage to maneuver it into a good position then the first flip of the Pike will jog it out of position again and snaps shut on your hand. If anything its even more of a two handed operation than using a disgorger.

Basically we tried to use it once and just gave up on it. I think you will reach the same conclusion when & if you try it.

steve2

Reaction score
They have never been banned and they are still available to buy. But why anyone would still use one I don't know. If you are afraid of Pike don't fish for them or at least watch videos of how to unhook them correctly.
There are as far as I know banned in Scotland.

Keith M

Reaction score
They have never been banned and they are still available to buy. But why anyone would still use one I don't know. If you are afraid of Pike don't fish for them or at least watch videos of how to unhook them correctly.
There are as far as I know banned in Scotland.
If they are not actually banned in England; they are certainly banned in all of the Angling clubs that I’ve belonged to since the earl 1980s so if you want to use them I would check with the club or fishery owners first.

Keith

Reaction score
I think an angler with the use of only one hand is an exception,as anglers of many years would have all caught pike by accident,probably hundreds,they would be a difficult prospect with an arm tied behind your back,only a couple of years ago I landed two different twelve pounders on double red maggot in the same session,quite a task for Gary i'd imagine....so maybe file the toothy part off and blob araldite around it,a gag does give a dummy hand to give a degree of safety for Gary,regardless of rules...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They still turn up at boot fairs and the like in old boxes of fishing tackle that people are getting rid of. I think I have one somewhere bought like that unless I have thrown it out.

steve2

Reaction score
I used gags and I also used gaffs both have now been confined to the history section of my tackle. In some ways a gaff if used correctly caused less injury and damage to the pike than getting it tangled up in a landing net.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
We used a gaff a lot when I used to boat fish at sea, in fact a good skipper was also a good gaff man, placing the gaff just at the right point in the lower jaw seemed to cause the fish very little harm; I am sure it would be the same for Pike.

rayner

Reaction score
I mentioned on the other thread that the gag I have is not spiked on the arms, In fact, it says they are humane.
With no alternatives coming forward I think just go ahead with my self-generated plan is my only option.
What is evident is the folk who normally contribute to this forum are steering clear of this sincere question. I guess for an unknown to me reason any questions I requested help with on this forum is a waste of my time. I could understand if they were keeping tight-lipped regarding venues or methods.
Thanks chaps for the help given above.

steve2

Reaction score
It might be easier if you do hook a pike when not fishing for them is just to cut the line near the hook and return them. Most fish are not troubled by a small single hook in the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.