Garam Masala

Aknib

Reaction score
Anyone tried it as an additive for Perch feed?

I've heard good things and my Perch fishing has been a bit off of late with regards to the bigger ones so I'm going to fine chop my worms tomorrow evening and leave them in the soil overnight, along with some liquid krill and the garam masala .

They'll either like it or be climbing up the bank to escape it!

Thought about adding some chopped prawn too but don't want to give them too many options, I may throw in a pint or two of maggots on the day though with the intention of giving them plenty of particles to hold them in the swim.

I know we've discussed Perch feed before but it's always interesting to see if anything new has come along, many still advocate drawing in the bait fish which has to be a good tactic and I know Archie Braddock is keen to 'spice things up' when it comes to Perch feed, I think Steve Burke has had good results with garam masala too.

In all fairness I think my location has been out on the large waters that I've (in the main) been fishing but Saturday's weather and wind direction should lead me too them so it will be a good test of the feed.

I've been doing a bit of livebaiting recently on a silvers water that I'm sure must hold some big fish but even that is only producing fish to around a pound and a half, nice all the same though...

lbp.JPG

All thoughts and suggestions on anything Perchy gratefully received...

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I've seen clonking perch caught on chopped worm and caster out of canals and a commercial lake (three to four pounders); I've never done very well using the same method :cry: variations of worm and or caster on the hook 1/4" - 2" bits of worm. On the canal (summer evening matches), the chap fished and potted tight to the far bank for about 1-2 hours before they started to play in around 8"s of water and stuffed us all. The lake was around 5' deep at 5 meters, he fed a small pole pot of chopped worm and caster for around an hour before they showed up, it was a blustery day so he used a fairly heavy float and fished 1-2" off bottom if memory serves.

I did have a cracking day on maggots on a very hot day where the perch were up in the water, fish a chuck from half a pound to over a pound (not weighed) feed - cast - count to six and lift into the fish if the float hadn't already disappeared. That day is seared into my memory, almost as much as the sun seared my skin ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m still in my early years since returning so having hard evidence of a proven method isn’t possible. I have however had some good tips from a very good specimen perch angler. Whether he’s live baiting or fishing with prawn or worm he’ll lay a carpet of maggots as already recognised, his not so secret ingredient though is 2mm green betaine pellets combined in the carpet of maggots.

My few but decent 3lb plus perch have been caught using his advice, whether or not I would have caught them without the pellets, who knows......that’s fishing!

Aknib

Reaction score
Well that's the munga sorted out for tomorrow, a kilo of finely chopped worms in the soil that they came in along with some additional seed compost complemented with liquid krill dampener and two and a half jars of garam masala (there's a lot of feed for a big water and they're only small jars!) with two pints of dead reds to go in in the morning.

Oh, I added some chopped prawn after all and kept a small jar of hookers to one side should they be needed.

The rod's already rigged, just need to pick the right spot and get a carpet out before plonking a big, juicy worm over the whole lot.

It's got blank written all over it! ?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Good luck, may the stripes you catch match the stripes in your lawn:cool:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Two for 5lb plus ain’t a bad days fishing Steve. ?

Aknib

Reaction score
Two for 5lb plus ain’t a bad days fishing Steve. ?

Cheers John, I'd never looked at it that way it was only when I text Kev to let him know what I was up to and he pointed it out. It's certainly the best Perch session I've enjoyed in a while albeit hard work at times but I feel it's given me a bit of an inroad to explore further and I'm looking forward to doing a bit more in the not too distant.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Cracking days fishing, it looks like they were coughin' up them maggots.

Did you ball it in at the start and top up after each fish?

Aknib

Reaction score
Cracking days fishing, it looks like they were coughin' up them maggots.

Did you ball it in at the start and top up after each fish?

Thanks...

I had an initial twenty minutes without feed so as not to spook a wary fish which might have already been in the swim (standard practice for me, I do the same with Barbel fishing) but with no response to a hookbait I then I balled in three good balls of munga.

Normally I'd feed to my bites but this place is a bit weird and they never really get going to any pattern which I put down to the fish just roaming around, clearing up anything they come across and then moving on.

I topped up around every two to three hours but can't really say that I had any immediate reaction as a result of putting in more feed, more a case that it was just there for when the next wave of fish turned up.

Or did that spice actually draw them in?

Yes, they were coughing up the dead reds and I thought about trying a couple of those on a small hook but was worried about smaller fish being a nuisance... I think there's some mileage in it though.

I tipped the worm with a dead red a few times and also tried prawn but both without any interest, the only bait that got me a bite was worm and given that there was a kilo of it chopped into the feed and that everything that swims likes chopped worm but I only caught Perch I'm hoping that spicing it up made the difference.

Time and test will tell... Maybe.

I kind of think there's definitely something to it all but I'm just reading in the wrong reasons at the moment so if I can crack and apply the reasoning then I really will be onto something but if I get a few fish along the way without ever reaching a conclusion then it will still be a worthwhile exercise and far more interesting than going through the motions :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another way which I find more by luck than anything. Start the session fishing the whip for small stuff and if allowed keep them in a keepnet, that attracts perch (and pike if present) better than most attractants.