Gossip

P

Philip Inzani

I heard that there may have been a very significant Carp capture, possibly an unknown fish....does anyone know some more about this ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've not heard anything but if anybody does I'd appreciate hearing about it.

C

Carp Angler

Not heard anything yet.
If you mean significant as in record breaker then I'll have a dig,
heard of some low 40's but that's the tops.......

N

Neil Wayte

Apperently Nashy has had a 40 from some where could this be it.

C

Carp Angler

I've spoken to some people and someone was asking if anyone had heard about a 60.
No facts, no names, no waters.
But judging from where the rumour originated it could possibly be Darenth.

Although with some of the fish sizes I've heard about coming over, it could be from anywhere.
It could even be a common.
Yes chaps, 60lb commons have entered the country.

Great innit...........

N

Neil Wayte

If thats the case then the carp rods are history and I,m going chub and barbel fishing.The carp fishing merry go round will go ballistic.
Just a thought Rik if an imported biggie comes out at a huge weight do you think others may then be published that have all ready been caught but kept very quiet.

C

Carp Angler

I think they might.
I believe the record has gone 3 or 4 times, with known imports, but so much controversy surrounds their stocking/existence they couldn't possibly make a claim.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We're never going to get back to 'the good old days' of fishing for just home-grown fish. Foreign imports have gone on for too long and they're now too well established.

So accepting that foreign imports are here to stay and will continue to arrive (as they surely will, one way or the other) then the only thing we can do is do the job properly, allow health certificated carp into the country, and start again, record lists and all, from square one.

When it comes down to it, it's still a bloody great lump at the end of your line, giving you the thrill of lifetime. And if it stinks of garlic, so what, a fish is a fish is fish.

If we could actually do something about foreign imports, and clear our carp waters of those already there, then I would be all for it. But the simple truth is that we can't.

So let's just make the best of what we've got now, instead of just keep carping on about it.

They're still carp wherever they come from, and they still feel the same when you're playing them. Isn't that the important bit, now that it's too late to do anything about it?

C

Carp Angler

Graham
It depends on what you were brought up with.

The majority of lakes in this country were stocked illegally anyway, if it wasn't for people moving carp about from the 1950's onwards we wouldn't have the waters we do.

But these were small fish put into lakes to grow on.

What most people object to is the importation of large fish.

I'm a realist, I know that foreign fish are here to stay and more will follow, yes, make it legal and put a cap on the maximum weight.

This isn't me being a killjoy to stop people from catching lumps, I just have some respect for our natural(?) stocks.

Most of the rags are supporting the Keep it Real movement, but it's the bloody rags fault in the first place.
They place so much emphasis on weight and numbers of big fish that the natural supply cannot meet the demand.
With so many instant carp anglers about, they want instant results, unfortunately our current society breeds this attitude and the term apprenticeship and working your way through the species means nothing to these people.

It took me 3 years of trying until I caught my first carp and 16 years to catch my first 40.

How many of todays carpers could wait that long?

We are as much to blame because we have shaped the demanding society that they are now living in.

You and I both base our current fishing on fun and enjoyment, perhaps these people will learn that in time, maybe, maybe not.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's the point I was making; as a realist too, I know we can't undo what's already been done. The foreign imports are here to stay and they'll go on at least as long as there are Teletubbies around to finance the deals. That being so, and accepting that 'true British stock' is already riddled with foreign blood, let's make it legal and give everybody a chance to import a few lumps and consequently put more lumps within the reach of more landing nets.

Also, by legalising it we have more control over health checks and the imports will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

All that's happening at the moment as well is that much of the time most people are suspecting a lump is a foreign import anyway, even when it isn't.

Let's just get rid of the stigma and allow carp to just become carp again, with their parentage incidental rather than the big issue.

C

Carp Angler

"let's make it legal and give everybody a chance to import a few lumps"

That's what most people are against.
What do you class as a lump?

I'm personally of the view that they should be no bigger than single figures.

N

Neil Wayte

What next Big spanish Barbel as long as they are imported legally.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"let's make it legal and give everybody a chance to import a few lumps"

"That's what most people are against.
What do you class as a lump?"

I guess what I'm saying is this: I've never been a sentimentalist as far as fish or fishing tackle are concerned. I wouldn't swap any carbon rod for a split cane rod, and I'm not particularly bothered about the parentage of a fish providing it is is healthy and capable of giving me enough trouble to make it interesting to get on a hook and enough fight to give me a thrill when I succeed.

I'm just a very simple angler with a very simple outlook. I can enjoy catching any species and any size of species on the right tackle. I don't impose any kind of limitations on myself regarding what for, where and when I fish providing I'm not hurting myself, the fish or my fellow angler.

Perhaps my outlook is too simple. Perhaps I should care if the carp I catch are French or just the result of the long forgotten imports by the monks.

But I don't.

C

Carp Angler

A sound and simple outlook.
I agree with most parts...as you know I fish for anything and the thrill is in the outwitting and the good tug.
It's just that instant anglers, instant monsters and all things associated with it sit very uneasily with me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Can't say as I like the instant specimen hunter/lump catcher myself, and at one time I used to get concerned about it.

But now I've realised it's yet another of those things I can do absolutely nothing about and it will carry on regardless of anything I do or say.

So I just concern myself with the things I CAN do something about, and they're my own results, which are based partly on achieving targets but mainly on how much fun I can get whilst trying.

Since I've had that kind of outlook I've yet to suffer a complete blank even when I haven't caught a fish.

C

Carp Angler

I'll probably get there eventually.
Short of getting a job at MAFF there's probably not a lot I can do anyway.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You've already got a good set of values - the rest just comes with age.

And by the time you catch me up I won't be around to say "There you are, I told you so!"