Grand Union Canal watford help

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
Afternoon all, looks like i will finally be able to get out next weekend and will be heading to the GU Canal. I am a member of Watford Piscators and have heard a lot of good things about their stretch Evans Pound. I have messaged a few times but have had no answer Where abouts is it? i was told it was near The Grove, after Cassobury Park and before the canal goes under Hempstead Road. Is there such a thing as a map of that section of the canal? i have had a look online but cant find one. Also took a walk up from the Batchworth Lock centre and hit an interesting looking stretch about 10 mins up the path. I asked someone who was fishing there and he said it was run by Hampstead Fishing Club? Anyone know for sure??

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hi, Evans pound is in Cassiobury park. It starts above the lock beyond the paddling pool and goes up towards the Grove . It is a canalised river Gade pound and has a nice steady flow.
The pound above Batchworth lock is also Piscators and is commonly known as Gingers pound. It is also a canalised river section, fed by the Colne up near the Piscators complex of lakes in Tolpits Lane. West Hampstead AC have a small lake behind the Canal centre and the small stretch of the river Chess behind the new hotel.

Dropped pin
Near Hertfordshire

Last edited:

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
Superb! Many thanks for the clarification! Am taking a stroll up there tomorrow but really looking forward to getting out there. Thanks again mr Crabtree! Much appreciated.

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
i took a long walk up there today. lovely stretch. Hopefully taking the rods up next weekend. Walker from rickmansworth aquadrome up to the grove (longer then i thought!) some really nice looking spots. saw a high single about 8lb i reckon carp cruising on the surface. once again thanks for information.

plattsie_fish

Reaction score
Did you see anyone fishing along the way?

What did you think of Evans pound?
Hello, yes I saw a couple of people. One guy claimed to have got two 8lb carp but don’t know. Lovely area. I had a couple of hours there. Blanked but had fun. I was fishing just where a section of the river comes in. There was quite a bit of flow. List one fish that felt half decent. As I was leaving quite a few fish were surfacing. I was fishing deep on the waggler. Given my time again would prob fish higher up maybe half depth. Nice few hours.