Grayling and the Czech Nymph

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good introduction into the world of Czech Nymphing Richard.

We used that method a lot in Norway, where it was known more by the name of Polish Nymphing.

Personally it is not a method I use much now that I'm back in the Uk for several reasons:

1. In the South there are very few venues that allow it

2. As you so rightly said "Be assured, it's not fly-fishing as we know it (Jim!), but it is great fun and highly productive"

3. Trying it out on say the Test, would more than likely result in a backside full of buckshot or the Keepers dog's teeth - only joking before you lot jump on me . . .

A couple of seasons ago I did give it a try on the Hampshire Avon, way below Ringwood, with some surprising results; Grayling and Trout too.

I think it is a method that most would like to try out, and it is not all that expensive to give it a try either.

Thanks for an informative article, I enjoyed it.

dezza

Reaction score
A most interesting piece Richard.

This basic style of fishing, although we didn't call it Czech Nymphing, has been developed to a very effective level for the yellowfish of the Vaal River in South Africa.

Some anglers claim that it is not proper fly fishing because of the use of a bung and the fact that casting in the normal way does not come into the equation. Personally I have no such axe to grind and have used the method on many occasions both in this country and overseas.

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. To be honest, I wrote this piece around 5 or 6 years ago for another, now largely defunct, site, but when Geoff asked me if he could resurrect it ... well, who am I to deny him his editorial pleasures :)

My own approach to CN's has developed substantially since then, and the article could really do with an update - unfortunately recent work pressures predicated against this so that'll have to sit on the back burner for a while.

Interesting that you mention the Vaal River, Ron - a friend of mine did just that a couple or three years ago & had huge fun with some very hard-fighting yellowfish.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Good stuff Richard. This is an absolutely deadly method on the Yorkshire rivers. OK it's not conventional fly fishing, but it does allow you to present a fly (or more correctly a bug) in exactly the right place, which is something conventional wet fly fishing doesn't.

Ducks head quickly behind barricade! :eek:

dezza

Reaction score
Good stuff Richard. This is an absolutely deadly method on the Yorkshire rivers. OK it's not conventional fly fishing, but it does allow you to present a fly (or more correctly a bug) in exactly the right place, which is something conventional wet fly fishing doesn't.

Ducks head quickly behind barricade! :eek:

That's right Sean it does.

But any new concept in fly fishing will come under scrutiny by the traditionalists and often condemnded. Look what has happened to booby fishing on many waters.

The problem with booby fishing is that it has been abused by those who want to anchor a booby to the bottom and rest the rod in a bite alarm and go to sleep. All many anglers want to do these days is go to sleep.

But I am digressing. Even way back in fly fishing history, GEM Skues was condemned by the establishment for his nymph fishing techniques on chalkstreams, as was Frank Sawyer for his killer bug which is one of the best imitations of a maggot I have ever seen.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

A nice article for starters to Czech nymphing.
On the lookout for a suitable rod for Czech nymphing. Have seen a few videos ie Oli Edwards, Nick Hart and Hywell Morgan.

Czech Nymphing Rod - not much around to beat a Greys Streamflex 10 foot #4.

For very small streams I would choose a split cane 8 footer. Oliver Edwards - a Yorkshireman, is top class.

preston96

Reaction score
This is about the only "fly" my cagy hands can put together and catch fish consistently! they are damn ugly and pathetic looking but they do work, ...........a great confidence booster for the coarse anglers first venture into the world of the fly rod.

7ft (carbon Ron!) rod, small Greys reel and a dyed (dont know if that matters!) #4 line...............and, a sinking tippet, the one and only time i use Fluro!! :wh

I just love to be alone on the top end of a river and just fish and walk........and this is a wonderful way of doing it.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Cheers for the rcommendation Ron, was thinking along the exact same lines, Greys 10th 4# Streamflex.
Itching to try this method.
Anyone seen the videos "River Academy" by John Tyzack and Dean Andrews?
Very informative and entertaining.