Great Crested Grebes

peterjg

Reaction score
I live in north Hampshire, this last year I've seen far fewer great crested grebes. Is this just a local thing or is there a problem where you fish? Is there a connection to bird flu? Unfortunately still see lots of cormorants!

nottskev

Reaction score
I've been pleased to see grebes in all the usual places this year, and even in two places on the river, where I'd not seen them before. There's a big nature reserve nearby, once famous as a fishing venue, Attenborough Gravels, and birds there were badly affected in last year,s bird flu outbreak. Waterfowl numbers there can be huge, varying with season, and it was saddening to find normally prolific areas practically empty. Visitors were asked not to feed birds, but, there's some debate whether that reduces transmission or makes it more likely birds will look for food elsewhere possibly spreading disease. Bad One Phil will probably know where bird flu is up to, if he looks in.

seth49

Reaction score
Still got grebes around here, not noticed any reduction in numbers, the cormorant numbers are well down on what we usually see,
every cloud has a silver lining,

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No shortage of grebe where I’ve been. They’re a bloody nuisance when they’ve got young. I’ve hit many a run only to have a startled grebe pop up in front. Not so many cormorants come to think of it so maybe bird flu has dented their numbers.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Some waters where there were usually one breeding pair locally and obviously their offspring have had none this year, others seem normal, little grebes seem normal as on the small river some of us fish has one which is a bloody nuisance as it watches where you feed maggots (loose fed, bait dropped or feeder fished) and dive out of your spot but swim in gobble them up and disappear without surfacing, the first time I saw it sneaking in I was amazed, now its a regular occurance, I wonder how long their lifespan is as he's been there for at least two years unless he's taught his offspring...