Greedy fishing clubs

maverick 7

Reaction score
Hi Sam, thanks for discussing this topic with me...especially on my first day on the forum, I have enjoyed reading your posts and feel quite educated by them....so thanks for that.

Hope to speak to you again soon....I am off to bed now....after my cocoa of course.

Maverick

tortoise100

Reaction score
Thank's for all the reply's to my initial post, i have read them all .
My opinion has not changed, at this point I should make it know that i am primarily a pike fisherman though summer fishing for me involves predatory species if at all possible .
i do enjoy catching carp and want to have a go at river barbel (if I can ever afford to join a club near me )but they are just the easy end of fishing as far as i am concerned .
Zander, Eels ,catfish large perch and pike are the true worthy catches carp are easy in my opinion and everyone is entitled to there own .
The reason for the above description is i believe it is common knowledge that pike anglers have to bend the rules far more frequently than most other anglers on a regular basis .
This can be due to weather for instance in the recent big freezes like 2011-12 for instance the only way to keep fishing was to scan google maps for weirs etc then go there ,bailiffs are not a problem when it is that cold runs can be.
As a normally law abiding fisherman who likes to relax on the bank and not have to keep one eye over his shoulder it is annoying to me to not be able to do that on stretches with foreboding signs .
We have to try to find a way to the bank that means we could not possibly have seen the sign just in case.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Thank's for all the reply's to my initial post, i have read them all .
My opinion has not changed, at this point I should make it know that i am primarily a pike fisherman though summer fishing for me involves predatory species if at all possible .
i do enjoy catching carp and want to have a go at river barbel (if I can ever afford to join a club near me )but they are just the easy end of fishing as far as i am concerned .
Zander, Eels ,catfish large perch and pike are the true worthy catches carp are easy in my opinion and everyone is entitled to there own .
The reason for the above description is i believe it is common knowledge that pike anglers have to bend the rules far more frequently than most other anglers on a regular basis .
This can be due to weather for instance in the recent big freezes like 2011-12 for instance the only way to keep fishing was to scan google maps for weirs etc then go there ,bailiffs are not a problem when it is that cold runs can be.
As a normally law abiding fisherman who likes to relax on the bank and not have to keep one eye over his shoulder it is annoying to me to not be able to do that on stretches with foreboding signs .
We have to try to find a way to the bank that means we could not possibly have seen the sign just in case.

I am afraid that the bottom line is Froggy ....that if you want to a decent stretch of river to fish, you are better off joining a club. Although there are still some decent stretches to fish on day tickets, they invariably full most of the time.

You are echoing what I have said for years and I believe that clubs should be forced to day ticket their stretches of river. The level of quality does fluctuate on stretches owned by some clubs and if the club concerned realises they are renting a stretch that doesn't produce.....they WILL let anglers use it on a day ticket. Take note though....these type of stretches are only day ticket because they are not very good.

The club I have HAD to join has rivers very high on their priority list so such stretches are not likely....they are all good stretches of water and that is why I joined.

.....it did go against the grain though.

Maverick

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wonder if the reason that rivers do not get fished is because they do not contain carp. Or at least they are very few and far between and illusive. Most specimen anglers are carp specimen anglers and most pleasure anglers seem to fish for them these days. And, I don't know much about match fishing but, I believe these are mainly held on commercial type lake waters these days. I think most anglers join clubs for the quality of thier carp waters and/or match waters rather than their river fishing. I am not so sure it is just because rivers are difficult, somehow that dost seem quite true to me, rivers are not that difficult.
A good example is one club I know has miles of river fishing and several lakes. There is one lake that contains specimen tench and carp and all the members want to fish is this lake. So much so that they have to ring up and book their place on it at least a week in advance. Their rivers are totally ignored, I know this because I travel along them most weeks and never see an angler.
The problem seems to me that clubs just obtained as much water as they can to attract new members, as a good selling point. Not saying that is wrong but, it does create these wasted stretches of rivers.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the 70's, when I first started fly fishing, I was wet-fly fishing a section of the Dyfrdwy (Little Dee) that flows into the SW end of Bala Lake. It was a nice day, I was on a Bala Anglers day ticket, and I was the only angler on the river. I was fishing with some measure of success and wanted to fish to where the river emptied into the lake and then pack up.

I had fished down a lovely glide and the next section looked really promising until I reached that dreaded apparition, a Prince Albert Angling Society board on a post! They had a short section, of about 200m, right in the middle of the Bala water. Marvelling at the close proximity of Macclesfield to Bala, and my lone status on the river, a well-aimed boot dispensed with the sign, on its somewhat rotten post, and I fished on to the lake. Returning to my car I launched the good ship HMS PAAS on her maiden voyage to the Irish Sea.

Nowadays I would never dream of doing anything like that (as the b***ards put them up trees where you can't reach). To any members of that organisation, that has so much water that they probably have the fishing rights to my garden pond, I am apologetic but unrepentant!

trotter2

Reaction score
Instead of moaning attend your local committee meetings find out what is going on a were the money goes.

edge

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes it is the attitude of some of the so-called anglers that are responsible for the reduction in the amount of day ticket stretches on rivers. I have been fishing two stretches of my local river for many years and the farmer who owns one stretch has been so close to closing the river or making it into a syndicate because of all the litter left by anglers. As his livestock graze the same field the anglers use he is not too impressed by the luncheon meat cans and discarded line he has to continually clear up. As all the money from the anglers goes to his local church we can not say he is making a profit from the anglers so he should do a bit of work. I personally have asked anglers to clean up their pegs before they leave but returned some time later to find rubbish on the bank and in the river. The other stretch was run by a lovely old man and is one of the best stretches on the river, The second time the old guy asked anglers for their day ticket money and was told to f**k off or they would throw him in. He closed the stretch to all anglers. He was approached by a regular who asked if he could run a syndicate and the old guy would get his money without having to go on the bank and be threatened by anyone. I joined the syndicate, although expensive I could not loose one of my favourite stretches of river because of one or two inconsiderate b*****ds. I no doubt that the ones that caused the stretch to become a syndicate have complained about the reduction in river fishing avaliable on dayticket. I would love to fish more venues but as other posters have stated I don't fancy paying for a club book for only a couple of days fishing. So who do we blame?????? I don't think we can blame the clubs or the syndicate's.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score

Hmmm, I'd quite like a new car. Unfortunately, I can't afford one. Presumeably, you wouldn't mind if I came round "bent the rules" and borrowed, at my convenience and without permission, yours for a while?

edge

Reaction score
I agree with Sam's last post. Any chance you could give us an idea when you won't be using your car as mine will need taxing soon and I won't bother to tax my car if I could just use someone else's.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But I am rich and drive a Rolls Royce and I will buy up all the nice country lanes and drive on them with my friends and you plebs will have to stump up and join us or stick to the motorways!

clayton wood

Reaction score
I wonder sometimes it is the attitude of some of the so-called anglers that are responsible for the reduction in the amount of day ticket stretches on rivers. I have been fishing two stretches of my local river for many years and the farmer who owns one stretch has been so close to closing the river or making it into a syndicate because of all the litter left by anglers. As his livestock graze the same field the anglers use he is not too impressed by the luncheon meat cans and discarded line he has to continually clear up. As all the money from the anglers goes to his local church we can not say he is making a profit from the anglers so he should do a bit of work. I personally have asked anglers to clean up their pegs before they leave but returned some time later to find rubbish on the bank and in the river. The other stretch was run by a lovely old man and is one of the best stretches on the river, The second time the old guy asked anglers for their day ticket money and was told to f**k off or they would throw him in. He closed the stretch to all anglers. He was approached by a regular who asked if he could run a syndicate and the old guy would get his money without having to go on the bank and be threatened by anyone. I joined the syndicate, although expensive I could not loose one of my favourite stretches of river because of one or two inconsiderate b*****ds. I no doubt that the ones that caused the stretch to become a syndicate have complained about the reduction in river fishing avaliable on dayticket. I would love to fish more venues but as other posters have stated I don't fancy paying for a club book for only a couple of days fishing. So who do we blame?????? I don't think we can blame the clubs or the syndicate's.

Agree with this. I fish a stretch of river which is owned by a lovely guy. He rents his land to a farmer. I know the farmer who rents the land, so approched the owner about renting the fishing rights for a local club. He didn't want anglers on the water because of litter etc. But said I could fish it for free anytime I liked and anyone I knew could fish it as well, as long as they were with me. So I get a mile of wild brown trout and grayling fishing free of charge. I've also another stretch of river mixed coarse that another farmer allows me to fish free of charge. Again about a mile of mixed fishery for free. It just goes to show that even if fishing on pools and rivers were free to all most landowners would only allow a select group of anglers on their land. My advice would be if there's a peice of water you'd like to fish see the owner or join the club. If approched in the right way most farmers are helpful.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with this. I fish a stretch of river which is owned by a lovely guy. He rents his land to a farmer. I know the farmer who rents the land, so approched the owner about renting the fishing rights for a local club. He didn't want anglers on the water because of litter etc. But said I could fish it for free anytime I liked and anyone I knew could fish it as well, as long as they were with me. So I get a mile of wild brown trout and grayling fishing free of charge. I've also another stretch of river mixed coarse that another farmer allows me to fish free of charge. Again about a mile of mixed fishery for free. It just goes to show that even if fishing on pools and rivers were free to all most landowners would only allow a select group of anglers on their land. My advice would be if there's a peice of water you'd like to fish see the owner or join the club. If approched in the right way most farmers are helpful.

I am very happy for you, you are doing angling a service by showing we are not all mick takers and litter bugs.

terry m

Reaction score

An excellent post and a salutory tale. We should consider the behaviour of some of our angling 'brethren' and realise that no matter how far removed your behaviour is from theirs, there will always be some guilt by association.

My guess is that this tale is not an isolated incident.

Keith M

Reaction score
If clubs were forced to allow day tickets on their waters then they would have to charge extortionate day ticket prices to cover all the fishery care and upkeep costs (which the membership usually pay for), and the average day ticket angler would still be complaining that the charges are far too much.

All of the good sections on the rivers that I fish are only very good sections because the club's do an awful lot of work to keep them that way and I am sure that the average day ticket angler wouldn't be willing to give up his or her time to attend work parties.

I learnt a long time ago that you shouldn't expect much for nothing these days.

Last edited:

goonch

Reaction score
I pay £6 for several miles of some of the finest double bank trout and grayling fishing around. Rarely see another angler on the river. Superb fishing. Oh yeah, that's £6 per season :wh

Clubs are great :w

stikflote

Reaction score
Ive done a lot of fishing on the river ouse through york, now i,ve always been led to believe that where a river runs through a city the fishing is free as it is in york and i believe on the trent though nottingham., I think it was a law that was made many years ago, does any one know if this law still stands or has it been done away with because i keep hearing about anglers being charged by clubs in city rivers.:confused:

Redfin
never been free fishing thru Derby city, centre ,in fact there is no free fishing in Derby,and as far as i know never has been

at the moment its on a harrington,or council ticket

mick b

Reaction score
Really glad someone posted this.

The selfish empire builders at Ringwood and Christchurch clubs in the south are hugely guilty of this and are having a negative effect on young anglers who do not have rich parents.

Equally, they have many lovely stillwaters - too many for anglers to get around in one season, but it gives them an excuse for huge memberships fees. Literally only one or two have day tickets available.

As a Hampshire resident I couldn't agree more!
Both Clubs 'manage' (control more like) huge stretches of bank much of which is never fished by anyone, while the 'headline' places get fished 24/7/365.
The subscriptions are a rip-off as are the joining fees, neither of which I now refuse to pay.
Empire Builders is the correct term, certainly for RDAC.

Hooray for the Bisterne Estate, run by a 100% sporting gentleman and not the grab-it-alls.

Now wait for it................:wh

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a Hampshire resident I couldn't agree more!
Both Clubs 'manage' (control more like) huge stretches of bank much of which is never fished by anyone, while the 'headline' places get fished 24/7/365.
The subscriptions are a rip-off as are the joining fees, neither of which I now refuse to pay.
Empire Builders is the correct term, certainly for RDAC.

Hooray for the Bisterne Estate, run by a 100% sporting gentleman and not the grab-it-alls.

Now wait for it................:wh

Wait for what you will be lucky to get a bite with that bait.:wh