green grow the rushes oh?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Rushes are round and sedges have edges....or so the old adage goes.
Being anglers we see all kinds of aquatic fauna, you fish hard to the reeds, or are they reeds? or rushes or sedges? Bulrushes, those big brown candle like pods on a long stalk . Are they rushes or reeds or sedges? Those round stemmed rushes we see in shallowish gravel rivers often called onions, are these true bulrushes?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Very easy way to identify Sedges.......

Draw a few through your bare hands and watch the blood flow...! Razor sharp edges!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
reed%20mace.jpg098b9d87-08fe-4d4b-a865-d4ca08d734f8Large.jpg

Reedmace, not a bullrush.

Bulrush_Scirpus_acutus_VK.low.jpg

Now that's a bullrush!

It was John Wilson that put me right in one of his TV films. Ta!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Then there's my deeply un-favourite plant, the unbranched bur-reed, whose floating, ribbon like leaves seem to offer ideal cover for fish, but always seem as densely stocked as a municipal swimming pool. The number of blanks I've chalked up fishing alongside that stuff!
A lot depends on the substrate the plant prefers/forms: Reedmace means mud, of the nastiest variety; bulrushes mean gravel, and the best of fishing, and common (Norfolk) reed means "nice" mud, roach, rudd, chub (if riverside), perch and pike. Or so I've found so far.
So what the hell happens to perfectly nice water when burr-reed grows in it?

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Rushes are round and sedges have edges....or so the old adage goes.
Being anglers we see all kinds of aquatic fauna, you fish hard to the reeds, or are they reeds? or rushes or sedges? Bulrushes, those big brown candle like pods on a long stalk . Are they rushes or reeds or sedges? Those round stemmed rushes we see in shallowish gravel rivers often called onions, are these true bulrushes?

Fauna or... flora?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Well, if it was all a test of observation - try this that went up on F&FF a little while ago -

hang on, linky didn't work

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo[/ame]

There!

Last edited: