greys grx 9 ft 5/6 rod

M

michael rouse

is it a good rod and if not whats better for around 70-80 quid.

R

Ross Turner

I cant comment on the GRX,But i have 2 10` 6/7# greys greyflex & found them to be great rods.I have put them up on ebay as i upgraded to the greys Platinum X rods which are another top rod IMHO

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Any fly rod made by Greys is top class and has been my first choice for the money for several years.

They are the best of British and are far better than that other Alnick Company.

The very best fly rods, are of course, made in the USA and the importer of these rods, names such as Sage, Orvis and Thomas and Thomas, put enormous mark ups in them when sold in England.

M

michael rouse

id been told greys were good by my dads mate who has 6 prodigy carp rods .i got one and it looks great,ill have to find out how it peforms at christmas.

hardys brands???

M

michael rouse

what greys rod do you own Ron.iv seen people with the red fly rod which must be the greyflex or missionary but no one has told me what the grx is like.im sort of on a budget because its my first fly rod so i dont want to be spending over 80 quid.what do you or anyone else recommend in the greys series?

S

Stu Black

I've got a 10ft GRX 7/8 rod. I like itbut my mate whos a much more experienced fly fisher hates it because its too stiff for him. It takes some getting used too as it's not as easy to "load" as his rods. Have a look at the Daiwa whisker range as well.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have an early Greys Rod which cost me ?150.00. 91/2 feet 6/7 lovely action and perfect for most stillwater nymphing.

My other rod is a GRX 91/2 foot 7/8 which performs best with a 7 wt line.

Great rod for all round sinking and floating line work.

I normally have a floater on the first rod and a sinker or intermediate on the second.

A want to get a lighter rod this coming spring, about 9 foot that will take 4/5 wt line.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I mainly use a #6 but will occasionally go to a #7/8. But I don't fish big waters very often. Besides, one of the best fly casters in the world says that what you gain with the power of a heavy rod in a wind you lose through the thickness of the line that goes with it.

R

Ross Turner

I use 7#for all my stillwater fishing but i do own a 4#VSR Diamondback for streams & small rivers.

R

Ross Turner

If you are going to buy a new greys rod,I should inform you about there warranty.
They say you have an unconditional warranty to the original buyer as long as you pay ?15 per claim.This sounds to good to be true,It is to good because you have to pay ?15 per section,so say you have a 4 piece rod & a car runs over it & snaps all 4 pieces,It will cost you ?60 to get a replacement rod through the warranty.

M

michael rouse

thanks for the opinions .im going to get a 9ft 5/6 grx and grx reel.

R

Ross Turner

If you shop around you should get a good deal.I know that Greys dont like Tackle shops giving discounts.If you have a look at this site i think Mark should be able to do you a good deal.www.fmtc.co.uk I wish you all the best.

S

Stu Black

Ross, the tip section of my GRX snapped and i was sent a replacement for nowt.

R

Ross Turner

Did you have to send in your snapped tip,with the details of where you bought the rod from.

S

Stu Black

I definitely sent the tip back first, and I probably said where I'd bought it but cannot honestly remember now. It snapped on the next cast after being whacked with a big gold head lure on Llyn Brenig

M

michael rouse

iv seen an orvis reel for 55 quid and a greys for 50 .which is better?

R

Ross Turner

Are you on about the Orvis Rocky Mountain,If so iprefer it to the Greys reel,But if you wait abit Greys are launching a Aluminium Bar Stock of the present reel model.If you look at this site http://flyforums.proboards20.com &look in the thread about tackle you will see lots of reveiws on the Greys reel.

M

michael rouse

how much is the barstock reel and has anyone tried the "airflo polyfuse 7000floating" line.If so whats it like.

R

Ross Turner

All i can sugest is to contact FMTC on 01324 840444 ask for mark & he should be able to help,As for the line never used Airflo lines always used SA until my Ultra 3 F needed replacing so i replaced it with a snowbee prestige XS fly line which FMTC are selling with a money back guarantee.
I HAVE NO CONECTION WITH FMTC APART FROM BUYING TACKLE FROM THEM.