Ground Bait

Gary Sawyer

Reaction score
I've never used ground bait before, just a handfull of maggots every hour or so !!
So I've bought some Swim Stim Natural ground bait which looks like sand.
Do I just mix it with water and make small balls to throw near my float ?
Thanks

S

Shrek

Most people mix their groundbait with either white or brown crumb groundbait too, to bulk it out so it lasts longer.

Personally, I do a 50/50 mix of crumb and groundbait. Add a little water at a time and mix it in thoroughly, making sure you get rid of as many lumps as you can. Once you've added enough water to make the mix wet enough to hold together when you make a ball, let it stand for about 10 to 15 minutes. It will absorb the water you've added properly then.
After this time, check the consistency and add a bit more water if you need to. Also, if you're targetting small fish, it's good idea to riddle the mix as well to get rid of the larger lumps as these will fill up the fish quickly.

Throw a small ball into the margin and see if it has the desired effect i.e. explodes and forms a cloud, or sinks and breaks up slowly.

When I'm float fishing, I never use a lump much larger than a golf ball and will feed this every time I loose feed.

Hope this helps.

Gary Sawyer

Reaction score
Thanks Adrian, when you say white or brown crumb groundbait is that a product or do you just mean bread crumbs ?

Thanks

S

Shrek

Your tackle shop should sell plain crumb groundbait in either white or brown crumb.

You can buy it in anything up to 10 kilo packs I think.

If you ask them, they should know what the heck I'm trying very badly to explain.

If only I could find a picture.....it would tell a thousand words !!!

S

Shrek

I was thinking more of the packet it came in than the actual product itself, but then again, I suppose your'e right.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Agree with everything Adrian as said. But would add that when mix do it in a large a bowl as possible this allows you to rub the bait along the botttom between the palm of your hand and the base which helps stoop lumps forming. Especially if you do not have a riddle. Also do not mix up to much at once you can always make up more as neeeded during the session.

Gary Sawyer

Reaction score
Great, thanks guys, I have a match on Sunday with my Son so I'll be trying the groundbait and my new monster carp pellets on the lakes carp.

Gary

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
when i 1st found this sight i spent quite a few hours(over a number of days) reading through the course fishing threads.well worth it cos i had a lot to catch up on.
my point is that there is a wealth of info in there and you can print off any thing that is relevant or you may want to try.allsorts of groundbait tips are in there and an awful lot of things that you can pick up just by connecting on the relevant thread.it help me bundles after 15 years away from fishing.
try it and good luck.