Ground baits for perch.

rayner

Reaction score
Have you ever used ground baits for perch?
What mixes have you used, I was thinking N Tice meaty mix with chopped worm and prawn.
The N Tice is a carp GB but the water I intend fishing holds only perch and pike.
Using GB, am I confusing my self with crazy ideas or is there any merit in using GB,
I have never fished for big perch if I am going to target them a bit of a heads up on attracting them into my swim would definitely be appreciated.

Tree123

Reaction score
I am not claiming to be the beacon of all perch.. as I've had them up to 2lb but personally no I don't think it make much difference. Other to attract minnows in to the swim which in turn .ay attract perch

I had my best ones by staying mobile. And going to the fish rather then vice verca. Say pull a few out of a swim. Fees it with groundbait/ maggot chopped worm to feed the smaller fish. Then move on an come back to it once fish have confidence again.

I personally normally fish livebaitswith a light wire as I find worm/maggot get taken by too many pest fish.. and I've planked on prawns.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
I think Aknib wrote about his approach to this, and results fairly recently, worth searching for that.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve used chopped worm in my groundbaits, and on its own; and that seemed to attracted everything including the Perch. I’ve used worm exctract in my groundbait occasionally too.
I’ve also included a little ox blood in my groundbait as well but that was mainly when I was after Tench; but I expect it could also attract a few Perch too.

However when I used to fish for Pike quite a lot I used to occasionally inject a fish oil which contained a little emulsifier; (so that it didn’t just rise to the surface); into my deadbaits; and I have an idea that a fish oil soaked sponge contained in a small feeder could attract a few inquisitive Perch into your area; especially if it contained an emulsifier; so that it didn’t just rise to the surface like a normal oil does.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Chopped worm would seem to be the classic one. However sprayed red maggots seem to catch a fair share of good ones. Cut up bits of prawn I imagine would work too.

Not that I do it much nowadays but I often caught Perch when I have been groundbaiting "normally" for Roach, Rudd, Bream and so on. I suspect the Perch are following the prey fish who are attracted by the groundbait.

john step

Reaction score
Chopped worm is the one the match boys use on the canals . I often use it and it works well. The other thing I noticed on one particular pond was that when feeding high fish oil pellets the perch were attracted but without feeding them I presume.
On a couple of local waters the perch will take luncheon meat. Tiny chopped squares of meat?

rayner

Reaction score
How about using a very fine crumb to attract the pray fish that in turn will attract the Perch?
Thanks, chaps for the replies already.
From all the information I have found on the net there is no pray fish. The water only holds perch ad pike! if there are minnows or sticklebacks I don't know
I had the idea the perch could feed on tadpoles and newts or even be a little cannibalistic, may even eat pike fry. I'm more than a little unsure, being used to avoiding predators all my fishing life.
Talkin Tarn is 65 acres with a depth of 15 metres but shallow margins. I have seen a map of contours of the bed of the Tarn there are a few areas that are within reach with a feeder rod or bomb from the bank. My wife has barred me from boat fishing, my son in law has been threatened. He will be my chair pusher.
The use of a groundbait would give me a little confidence of at least attracting a few perch to my area.
I have no idea how much stock there is.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
IME using any kind of g'bait (crumb, biscuit, seeds etc) is not liked by perch. Sure you'll catch some,. But a live bait such as chopped worm, chopped maggot works far better. Feed it in soil if you have to for depth flow but pole pot or dropper work really well. If I can avoid the dropper I will as I like to spread the feed a bit and have it falling through the water.

rayner

Reaction score
I have no idea how deep the margins are or how far out any drop-offs are. The water is in Cumbria, a bit of a trot from South Yorkshire.
It may be possible to fish closer in. Really there is no way to know with no one to contact. My intention to use a feeder could be a good start.
The water is owned and maintained by the local council, Tickets are from that on-site cafe.
As you can see information is sketchy, to say the least.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Chopped worm mixed with chopped casters, then left in a tub covered in Predator Plus and a little of the medium the worms come in to act as a type of binder, Chopped maggots can also be added, chop and use as required for groundbait on the day,
Put a piece of worm on the hook, snip the end off the worm at the hook end, this releases the juice of the worm and attracts the fish to that end of the worm. Easy to hook on the strike.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't chop the end of the worm for any fish, instead, I hook the worm about an inch down the worm, cut off the head near the hook then hook on the head. leaving the cut end of the worm with the head hooked back on. Fish then are drawn t the end of the worm the juices come from.
This was shown to me by an old chap when I was fishing next to him. It really helps with hookups hitting more fish on worm.

Sorry Mark I reread your post and spotted my error, you proffered the very same advice as the old chap. And you such a young man. ;)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have never tried tried N Tice.
I have used Dynamite Baits Marine Halibut groundbait with some success.
As for liquid I have stuck with predator plus for a number of years, I tried liquid worm but didnt find it as good.
I have soaked pieces of sponge in predator plus and put it in cage feeder and fished worms on the hook. Had some success with that.

rayner

Reaction score
I used to have it in my fridge. My own worm liquid additive that I made from just worm. Now banned, what is it with women a bit of a niff and they go wild.
I used to chopped any unused worm and kept it in the fridge for a while it used to stand for a couple of months.
The finished liquid was as thin as water and stunk to high heaven, it won the team I fished with quite a lot of tokens.
No one would sit anywhere near us at the pay out. My wife wouldn't let me through the door when I got home but never turned the winnings down. ;)
I know quite a lot about worm but nothing about predators apart from the ones I've unintentionally caught.

The bad one

Reaction score
My tactic is a couple of balls of brown crumb, tangerine size, feeding pinkies with a few red maggot mixed in over the top and a float fished worm just tripping the bottom on the drift.

rayner

Reaction score
I used to have similar feelings about my pulling power when I was younger. :cool:
The truth was I was deluded according to my wife. My reply has always been, well I pulled you, sorry you pulled me.;)