Groundbait for perch

Tree123

Reaction score
What are people view on groundbaiting for perch? Does it get extra fish? Im never done it but the only positives i can see would be holding small fish in the area? But if doing ion commercials surely it would just bring it carp and bream?

Aknib

Reaction score
I reckon it's impractical on commercials, maybe a more selective bait is the better way to go such as a large prawn (still not bullet proof by any means) or a small deadbait such as a Roach.

Different ballgame elsewhere in my experience, there's feeding to bring in bait fish, as you mentioned, but Perch are hunters and so they move about hunting, so it's often a case of having something on the deck in sufficient quantities to hold them up for long enough to pick a few off once they arrive.

Chopped worm is always a good one, not selective but it's only the feed and bulked out with some krilled dead reds it will give them something to hang around for, try balling it in in riddled and dampened seed compost as the dark cloud it gives off seems to attract them.

On difficult days/waters you can leave out the feed and flavour the seed compost with a krill liquid or liquid worm and fish a bait, such as worm, over it.

It pays to think about baits as much as anything if other fish are likely to be a nuisance, big lobworms in two's and three's will reduce unwanted attention.

In other words, where everything is likely to be having a go fish baits which most won't take on and are still attractive to Perch.

Perch, and big ones at that, will occasionally become preoccupied with a fall of maggots which is useful for holding them once they arrive but you have to keep them constantly going in to prevent the fish from moving off, they'll get fed up with the ones that sit on the bottom as opposed to those falling which induce a reaction.

I think the predatory instinct is a bit like when a cat chases a mouse, when the mouse sits still the cat loses interest.

That's a bit of a contradiction to adding dead reds to your chopped worm feed but you'll find both will work, it's just a case of finding out on which days and which waters.

Krang

Reaction score
I tried it a few times and it never seemed to make much difference. Searching for them with lures is way way more effective than trying to bring them to you.

Tree123

Reaction score
Thanks. Ive never targeted big perch specifically before.
I was planning on staying mobile bit like i do for pike and fish prawns or small roach. So i guess piking but lighter snd we dont groundbait for pike..

Paste paul

Reaction score
Yes it’s amazing how many perch are in there until you fish for them....... what used to be my local river Dearne if I wasn’t catching I’d often put a small spinner on my ledger rod and end up catching small jack pike and perch sometimes running quite big.... my point is I wouldn’t get them on maggots!

laguna

Reaction score
Chopped worm and chum... but as others have said it could also attract other species!

It could also drift, depending on the tow (canal?) or lake. There is a solution for that though.

Tree123

Reaction score
Chopped worm and chum... but as others have said it could also attract other species!

It could also drift, depending on the tow (canal?) or lake. There is a solution for that though.

I will mostly be on the river

Krang

Reaction score
Yes it’s amazing how many perch are in there until you fish for them....... what used to be my local river Dearne if I wasn’t catching I’d often put a small spinner on my ledger rod and end up catching small jack pike and perch sometimes running quite big.... my point is I wouldn’t get them on maggots!

Spinners is the way to go for perch in my experience. For some reason they usually attack them from behind and so you get good hook ups. They make searching the water very easy too. I bet searching with a spinner and then setting up with baits and ground baiting to keep them there would work well.

ian g

Reaction score
Chopped worm and maggots for me , I also like to twitch the bait (lobworm) every so often . I always feel that can induce a bite . I do fish minnows now and again , they often bring a bite were worm fails

Keith M

Reaction score
Back in the 80s and 90s when I used to fish a lot of matches on the grand Union Canal around the Watford area you could often see large shoals of decent sized Perch moving along the canal, from Angler to Angler, and if we could immediately throw in around a half pint of maggots in an attempt to hold the shoal in front of us, instead of them moving further along to the next competitor, we could often manage to catch three or four of these larger Perch (around 1.5lb to 2.5lb) before they had decided to move on.

NB: Using spinners was not allowed in these matches.

Keith

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm surprised chopped prawn hasn't been mentioned yet, especially mixed with chopped worm.

My biggest ever river Perch came to a chopped prawn feeder with prawn hookbait many years ago whilst fishing for Chub, I keep meaning to try it but always seem to forget.

laguna

Reaction score
I will mostly be on the river
Depending on the flow of the river in question a few solutions;
1. Loose feed chopped fish, prawns, worms (chum)
2. Use a feeder stuffed with fish, prawn, worms
3. Use a chum bag consisting of both liquidised fishy bits and chopped fish, prawn & worms

Chum bags can be floated using a tether line & marker float or stuffed into feeders for easy retrieval if pike are about.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My preferred method on rivers is to regularly ping out maggots to attract as many small silver fish as possible.

I fish a fairly heavy weight on a link to a running paternoster with a small zeppler type float running freely on the main line. I use a bait-runner set so that it just won’t give line to the live bait or flow and a Delkim alarm with no bobbin and have the rod pointed directly at the float. Bites are usually indicated by the float jigging about as the bait gets agitated then a violent one toner from the alarm as the perch engulfs the bait. You can substitute a feeder for the weight but I usually find loose feed attracts them better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Chopped worm, or Chopped prawns, or chopped maggots and casters, All glugged with Predator Plus liquid. If using worm chop them in the peat they come in, adds a small cloud as they go to the bottom. Only chop what you need each time.

Last edited:

Tree123

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips. Seems there is more then one way to skin a cat as my dad says

Aknib

Reaction score
By way of adding particles casters are also a good one, Perch love 'em.

Many a tackle shop will happily let you have over turned casters by the bag full free of charge for the sake of asking, it saves them the headache of having to dispose of them and all you need to do is crush them up and mix with the rest of your groundbait.