Groundbait paste on river.

tezzer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondered if any of you had used a groundbait paste on a river for Bream as opposed to bread paste

Phil Adams

Reaction score
No reason why it wouldn't work. A good fishmeal would pull in the bream, as will a paste made from trout pellet paste.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondered if any of you had used a groundbait paste on a river for Bream as opposed to bread paste
Simple answer, yes, is it effective, yes.
I've used it loads on the Witham and the Trent, won two matches using it on the Witham with Bream. Back in the 60s/70s it was known as "puddin" by most guys on the fenland match scene, using it bites were really positive compared to other baits like casters and gozzers.
On the Trent Bream take it with equel positivity, I've had numerous big bags of Bream using it, particularly on the tidal reaches.
If you can find any old copies of Coarse Angler from the eighties you might find an article I wrote referring to my using it.
That, or an old copy of the art of angling where I was fuetured using it- again on the Trent.
Simple brown crumb GB.
Superb on the day!

rayner

Reaction score
In the late 60s early 70s groundbait paste was a favourite on the river Witham and Welland, that's it was for Sheffield anglers who made the the journey down there. This was long before the invasion of the paste angler now.
I used to make my own groundbait paste with brown crumb with a bit of white crumb to hold it together. It would only be successful if it broke down very quickly to form a small pile of groundbait over the hook, confidence that the groundbait still covered the hook was paramount.
The use of the old groundbait paste has given me the confidence to use a very sloppy paste now on the dreaded commercials.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No reason why it wouldn't work. A good fishmeal would pull in the bream, as will a paste made from trout pellet paste.
I used to mix fish-meal or was it trout pellet (I cannot remember) with a raw egg to make a paste. It would be quite stiff and I think the egg was an added attractant; I got about a tennis ball sized lump of paste out of it. Caught most fish with it including bream on commercials but carp love it as well; how good it will be for river bream I do not know. I never tried an egg with breadcrumb or ground-bait but, if it mixes with an egg it might make a good bait for bream, I would try to add something sweet though, some jam maybe or molasses, bream love something sweet. I used to soak sweetcorn in jam and had my biggest bream on that.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I used to use paste a lot more than now (should use it more). Groundbait paste is good when moulded around a pellet. Paste was made from plain flour, readybrek, icing sugar and a bit of garlic salt - good for roach and crucians (brings back memories from the '70s).

rayner

Reaction score
No, Mick, he hasn't been back on since he posted his question.
He could be on the forum as a guest but he hasn't posted again.