Guess the weight of the Carp and WIN a Fox Rod and Reel!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sorry to drag this up

BUT just look at the number of "NEW MEMBERS" who've managed the ONE post on this thread and not posted again
1 Either we're so boring they can't find anything to say
2 THey know everthing so don't need to ask but wont tell
3 Posted only to win the rods

so it's either 1 off posters and new members like this we don't need or it's existing members posting off differnt pc = which we can do without

So next time there is a comp make it open to only members who joined BEFORE the copm was announce - OR I for one will be posting under various names on mates pc

ISTHERE A NEW POLICY ON COMPS YET?

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
So next time there is a comp make it open to only members who joined BEFORE the copm was announce - OR I for one will be posting under various names on mates pc

I think I should stick my oar in here being as I was involved with organising the competition before I retired.

The competition was specifically aimed at attracting lapsed members back to the site, but we thought it fair that existing members should also be allowed to enter. The fact that some of those lapsed members joined again just to enter the competition was a consequence we knew would happen, but if just a few decided to stay it would have served its purpose.

It isn't anything new, Magicalia FM always had a joining prize, where a piece of tackle was offered almost every month in a prize draw for any new member joining that month.

Unlike this competition, existing members were not even included in the draw.

The software used on this site can detect anyone posting with various names from the same IP address.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
GM

How many new members did stay? very few ahve made more than 1 post and surely they can't know everything about fishign and don't need to ask, find us so borign they don't want to join any thread, all be shy

And do you have software to detect existing members using a mates/works/fathers/broters/libary pc to stop multiple enteries?

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
GM

How many new members did stay? very few ahve made more than 1 post and surely they can't know everything about fishign and don't need to ask, find us so borign they don't want to join any thread, all be shy

And do you have software to detect existing members using a mates/works/fathers/broters/libary pc to stop multiple enteries?

I don't know how many stayed, but whoever deals with the membership now will be able to tell you. It was an exercise in trying to tempt back lapsed members who didn't renew their membership when the site moved platform. Surely you're not saying that FM shouldn't have tried that, or that we could have predicted that some would just enter the competition and never post again? It seems like you're blaming the site for making the effort.

"And do you have software to detect existing members using a mates/works/fathers/broters/libary pc to stop multiple enteries?"

Maybe, maybe not, but I do know that anyone who wins will have to provide a name and address so the prize can be posted to them.:rolleyes:;bp

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What I am saying Graham - we don't just want new members, what we what is more active members be they new or old.

How about next competition what it's announced have the rule that only people who joined FM before the competition was announced can enter, be they joined 1 day before or 10 years before - then those who join just to enter or those who enter on a mates computer under his name and address (thereby getting round your name and address to send the prize to part) can't enter till the next competition.

And to encourage new and old members to be more active on the site what about having a monthly best article/ post / thread competition - it's ok to say how many members FM has but how many of those actually contribute to the site (either posts , articles ect) Same old few names and unfortunately becoming fewer looking at one recent thread (I hope they will come back)

We have the photo competition but since I have no interest in taking photos nor due I own a camera capable of taking anything more than "snaps" I don't enter - I do vote because I believe those that do enter deserve it.

I accept that this is just my opinion and if everyone else is happy with the way things are run so be it - it's not my site, I don't pay to be on it so I have no say

Anyway I'll let this drop now but I did think it interesting to go back to this thread a few weeks on and look how many "new" members have made more than their one or two posts.