Guests

mikench

Reaction score
At this precise moment there are 9 members on line and 140 guests. Why not , as a guest, participate on the forum, say hello, join in the threads, make posts , we don't bite well not much. :)

I suppose just reading the comments and threads is educational, interesting and worthwhile but joining in is much more fun. Go on make the jump.

mikench

Reaction score
Maybe so but I see members names I am unfamiliar with who either do not post or do so very infrequently. It's their choice of coarse.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats why I never name venues etc, lots of lurkers trying to find out locations.
Social media/big mouthed idiots using it has destroyed many a good still water or stretch of river!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The main comment I get from "guests" who have become members is that they are put off by some of the cliques that are apparent . . . .

I usually try to allay any fears and just tell them to post and see how they are received as the vast majority of members here are decent people.

Steve is right though, many will join, ask one question and never be heard of again . . . . such a shame really . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it looks as though forums have had their day anyhow. There are only a few regular posters on here, without them the forum would just dry up and blow away.
That has happened to several very popular forums that I used to contribute to. It is a shame as there were some good anglers and characters posted on them.
Apparently a lot of people have left forums and gone to faceache.
I don't like faceache and never post on it, but have noticed a lot of arguments and slagging off going on and it's pretty much un moderated and out of hand. Not really a nice place to chit chat about angling imo.

steve2

Reaction score
All my clubs forums and facebook pages have virtually ground to a halt. This appears to be down to many members only fishing for carp and they never report their catches or methods. The only posts that are updated are the match results.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know of one club where they even de-bunked their own club forum because of idiots posting videos of their waters on youtube, making money from it via sponsers, adverts, hits, subscribers etc and have had to re introduce their old no publicity rule because of poaching caused by the videos and naming of waters on faceache, forums etc.

I can see a lot of faceache pages that are very busy and all trying to out blab the others about venues and catches. They show the swims via google maps and destroy the whole locations.

mikench

Reaction score
I like the forum as is. Yes a few more posters would be nice as would a few more posts from those who haven’t posted for a while. I suspect that if I had to read hundreds of posts a day to keep up and maybe like a few and answer several I wouldn’t be able to do so without it becoming an obsession. Social media can become one and that is what I seek to avoid.

I try and behave and not get political ( which I find hard to do) as our current daily lives are dominated by events, Covid and what will happen to us going forward. We still have free speech and must be vigilant to maintain it.

rayner

Reaction score
I can't say I've noticed any guests posting on the forum, I didn't know it was allowed. I thought posting was by members only.

morston1

Reaction score
I don’t post so often nowadays and have given up some forums.

I have been on here for years but was unable to use my original name due to some problems logging in when I moved to Australia about 15 years ago.....back in England now but my internet used has tailed off a bit.

mikench

Reaction score
Indeed it would. The purpose of this thread was to encourage more guests to join and for more members to have a go and reply to posts, create posts and generally to join in.

chrissh

Reaction score
Im not knocking F.M but there’s to many of topic threads for me now I look in every day and if there’s something I feel I want to join in with I will

I use a F/B general fishing group where you have to apply to join and all the posts are monitored before there posted.

There’s none of the off topic none fishing chats

It a friendly group which has picked up over 4000 members some are ex members from F.M since April with 60 -70% active daily

It has its topic chats depending on the time of year, now it’s the roach, grayling chub perch and pike

There’s a section called meet a buddy where if you want to have a days fishing with someone from a different aria or find someone to go fishing with all you have to do is ask

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It has become a clique of older generation anglers, intolerant of anyone a bit different, does not want any change, no new sections not even as an experiment, there is a lot of dead wood on it, old sections that have not been used for years. Hardly a keep up with the times/the younger generation sort of place; is it surprising it has a dwindling membership/usership as a result.

Last edited: