Guru Aventus Reels

mikench

Reaction score
I see these are now available to buy in 3000 and 4000 sizes for £275 a pop. They would need to be very good and markedly superior to the offerings from Shimano to tempt even me. Willy Worms have them in stock for anyone interested.

sam vimes

Reaction score
They appear to be Daiwa parts bin concoctions. Someone with more interest than I has suggested that they are quite similar to the Matchwinner of a year or two back with a new paint job and the odd minor difference.

The Matchwinners are solid reels, I have two that I haven't actually used that much recently (usurped by alternatives as I'm not keen on "quick drag"). You could buy one of these, cough up for a single handle (rather than the doubles fitted) and still have an awful lot of change from £275. It won't be orange though, they are a much more tasteful black.

Reaction score
Guru make great angling accessories,many highly innovative,but rods and reels I believe are a step too far,their greed for part of the top end of the market is glaringly obvious imo....

Richox12

Reaction score
Why is it a step too far ?? If their rods & reels are engineered and made by Daiwa then surely that's a good thing ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Doesn't it mean that the prices reflect paying Guru, Daiwa and the retailer? Still, chasing the prestige of a hot brand (lol) is not something I'm interested in. As regards new rods, I'm more interested - or slightly more - in seeing what Dave Coster's due-soon designs are like as I can relate more to his kind of fishing. Even then, I'd need the increased motivation of eg driving over my rod holdall.