hair riggs

P

peter tattum

i have just bought a hair rigg and was wondering if you can use any other baits apart from boilies

S

Stuart Bullard

As Carp Angler said, anything really. By the way, I am glad your rich enough to buy them, why not make them yourself. The knotless rig is fine for most situations......

M

Malcolm Bason

I'd make em Stuart - but I don't know how? Any suggestions? Books etc...?

S

Stewart Bloor

Malcolm, a hair rig is really easy to make using the knotless knot, only it's difficult to explain in words, diagrams are best. Let me know if you have trouble finding some info, I'll try and scan something and send it to you direct.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks Stuart - Its tying the likes of knotless knots I have problems with, I can copy some knots from diagrams, but when I get bank-side i tend to tie just any old how - I guess its time to learn!!

I have now ordered some beginners books so maybe I'll start to get it right at last!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Strange isn't it that something many of us take for granted is rocket science to a lot of others (until they are shown).

Hair rigs really are simple to tie and use with boilies, meat, corn, nuts, beans etc. Once the knotless knot is learned it will open up a whole new method for you guys and you will say "what was so difficult about that?"

Perhaps Graham you could put a diagram of how to tie the knotless knot on the site?

S

Stewart Bloor

Malcolm, let me know if you have any problems and I'll get a diagram scanned.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks for the offer Stuart, I have ordered two books, which should be arriving Wednesday or Thursday this week - The Beekay Guide to Startoing Carp Fishing and The Beekay Guide to Carp Rigs. If I get no joy from these, I will take you up on your kind offer.
c[||] Cheers!

P

Paul Williams

Malcom, the only rigs Stewart will show you are "air"rigs, fresh air rigs!!! thats all his hook's ever come into contact with !!!!!!!

M

MARK FRAME

let me try to explain in words
first get a hook any reasonable size will do tie a double overhand knot in the line your gonna use as hooklink(keep the knot ring small)
mount boilie or whatever bait your gonna use on knot ring. feed hooklength thru back of eye of hook feed line up until boilie leaves hook shank opposite the bend turn hooklink material about 7 times around the hook stop with the hooklength at back of hook and put hooklength back through the back of the eye pull hooklenghth tight.

simple in it
still havin difficaulty carp r us gear have a good drawing in their packets.

good luck

R

Ryan Turner

I often use hair rigs, even pole fishing with 20s and 18s hooks. I tie a spade end with a matchman hook-tyer and leave a tail, then just do a single over hand loop, its pretty fiddley but when there 'aving it you hit the bites nearly everytime. Its ideal for feeder fishing with mini cubes of meat, corn, mini boilies or pellets and they tend to hook themselves. All you've gotta do is learn to use the said device and you're away, another plus is that you're spending half the money on hooklengths. Happy hairing!

M

Malcolm Bason

I can't comment Paul as i don't know him, anyway, I might just need his help!!!

Thanks for the advice Mark - ahem - I think I'll wait for me books!!!!

Thanks also Ryan, I have used a similar method on numerous occasions previously, but have not been satisfied, and as you say, it is rather fiddly - especially going down to such a small size

I started buying (h)air - lol - rigs from my local tackle shop after having been given a couple by a friend. I was so impressed with the results and ease of presenting the bait etc, and the resultant catches, that i just continued to buy them. Though expensive, it was too easy. but I WILL learn to tie them!!

D

Dave Johnson

hold on Paul, I once heard that Sedge foulhooked a bush near the river-this may only be a rumour though so dont take it for granted......

N

Neil Wayte

Malcom watch out this bunch are the biggest bunch of wind up artists going.Having said that you have recieved some good info from them.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Malcom try this link http://anglersnet.co.uk/rigs/knots.htm
I personally don't bother winding the line back to the eye.I just wind down the shank to opposite the point of the hook then pass it back through the eye.A dab of glue can be used if you feel better about it.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks Budgie - will try it.

Hey Neil - You think this lot are wind-up merchants - I don't know any of you yet - just wait till I do and I get started!!!!! I can't wait to meet you all one day bank-side - with you lot with your expensive flashy gear and me and me old cheepo stuff - I bet I still catch more.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

M

Malcolm Bason

All joking aside though chaps, I do really appreciate the help - thanks again!