Halibut Pellets for american fish

stumpguppy

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using Halibut Pellets in the USA for any fish other than carp?
I recently got a few bags of pellets 6, 8, and 10 mm, nocarp here where I live so anyone ever use them for any other fish in the states? catfish are one alternative I think. fish here dont see pellets as food in my experiments so far , you have to let them set on a hair rig or bait band forever till they start to dissolve and give off flavor before you get any kind of sign theres even any fish looking at them. the local river i fish is too deep to do any pellet waggler fishing style too fast you toss in any pellets theyre gone in a flash down the run and the fish just ignore them for the most part untill they start to dissolve. I threw some in shallow water and after a while the little guys started pecking at them like crazed starved fish so I know they can attract even here, Am I just not letting the bait set long enough? or should I just soak the pellets and use them around the weight as some sort of method type thing?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi stumpyguppy

I think you have answered your own question you need to damp them down and feed around you hookbait.
There is no reason by pellets shouldn't work, almost all fish will take them.

Do you get anything like these in the States?

Swimfeeders: The Definitive Guide if not they can be made with the old ladies hair curlers with lead weight added!

Last edited:

mickhayes

Reaction score
If the pellets don't work you could always try Bigmacs.....

mickhayes

Reaction score
its nice to see some people have a sense of humour...but then again i dont get American humour either...i once saw a programme in which a guy was using burgers as catfish bait so it may not be such a twit answer after all.

Last edited:

stumpguppy

Reaction score
Hi stumpyguppy

I think you have answered your own question you need to damp them down and feed around you hookbait.
There is no reason by pellets shouldn't work, almost all fish will take them.

Do you get anything like these in the States?

Swimfeeders: The Definitive Guide if not they can be made with the old ladies hair curlers with lead weight added!

dont really have feeders here just the carp guys in the know as it were, but they are available here and there .
mostly mail order though. I think you are right I will saok some then give it a go also use them more like method I do have some PVA mesh and stuff it full of freebie pellets round the hookbait. If I start catching using pellets i will post updates maybe even pics too if I can.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The blokes who fish for catfish on the reserviors near me use 3 or 4 21m halibut pellets hair rigged on a big hook........

little oik

Reaction score
In Ireland they are not tuned into them either .I mix 2mm and 4 mm pellet into my groundbait mixes (cos they look like small snails),But as of now they still wont take the larger ones as hookbaits (only at the commercials ).I think its just a matter of continually feeding larger pellet until they recognise them as food .I am doing this with Tench and mini boilies to try and stop the nuisance fish from grabbing your bait .Everytime I go fishing I throw a few into the swim and I am hoping they will wise up soon

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Stumpguppy, when the British talk of the 'Method', they mean a type of open feeder onto which you stick a dryer-than-normal mixture of particle groundbait...as well as moulding it onto the feeder you also mould your hookbait into the mixture.

This 'Method' method name must be a bit confusing.

They started as a three-vaned frame and have now moved on to a flat bed type that should always land right way up. The fish hammer at the thing to get the particles off, and get quite competetive, so that when the hookbait comes free they charge at it and take it so forcefully that they hook themselves against the weight of the feeder frame.

They are intended for carp, other fish not being so greedy usually. However I'm sure they work for other species as well.

Your PVA 'sausage' should work as well as an open ended feeder for making sure your hook-bait has some free offerings around it.

I'm glad more Americans are fishing for carp these days. They may not be Large Mouth Bass, but they are pretty strong and they DO learn fast. You won't catch them forever on the same method ( note no capital letter there:)) You have to stay ahead of them and think of a new approach when they get suspicious...and they will!

One way to get the fish interested in a 'new' bait is to make it fishy tasting...with a halibut pellet you are already there!

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
With any species, I think it's a matter of introduction. Feed any fish long enough on a new foodstuff and I believe they'll tune in sooner rather than later.