Harrison Chimera avon 11ft 1 1/4

hague01

Reaction score
Looking for one of the above, used but good condition and hopefully not too far away to avoid too much in couriers fees. I am in Essex and happy to travel 50 miles or so in any direction. Maybe more if I can make a day out of it. Alec

Reaction score
Nice choice,hope one comes up for you mate...

hague01

Reaction score
A peregrine Avon is very similar so that's on the list too.

nottskev

Reaction score
In 2019 I was looking for a second-hand Chimera model for a while, the 11' 6" Flood and Snag. I'd bought one in 2004 and found there's nothing better for barbel where you have to keep them out of trees in the water, rocks and so on, and I thought I'd get another before they dried up.

I didn't find one, so I called Steven Harrison who confirmed he could still supply a blank or finish a part-built rod. I had a particular spec in mind - nothing fancy, just a short handle as the rod never casts far and there's no point having valuable carbon sticking out behind your elbow. I picked a name from the list of rod builders on the Harrison website, and contacted Kevin Clayton, Clayton's Custom Rods. Kevin listened to what I was after, asked me when I bought the first Chimera, and said he probably built it as he was working for Harrison at that time and built dozens. Would I like it the same, but with a shorter handle?

You might have a long wait for the model you're after to turn up; it wasn't, given what you can pay for a rod these days, prohibitively expensive at £240, so having one built might be an option.

It's very well finished, in the minimal style I prefer

Harr.jpg

And it gets them out from some tricky swims

nb10.jpg
h4.jpg

hague01

Reaction score
But they are Harrison blanks????
Yes they are but in 1.6 instead of 1.1/4 of the earlier chimeras. There is a well known rod builder with them in one and a quarter. Very tempted to buy new or the peregrine whilst still available, Roger retires next month, as his site say " in stock". But at my age it's a lot to lay out for a want not a need so prefer to buy used. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Well I have the 1lb 6oz Avon,I bought mine from Davis tackle in Christchurch,ready made,in fact I used it for my barbel fishing last Thursday....

Reaction score
Yeah,but he might be a roach when he returns...

hague01

Reaction score
By coincidence there is a pair of torrix 1.1/4 on eBay now, new too. I think they have been out of production for about ten years or so. According to reports on this site around 2010 they were highly recommended. Tempted to try and buy even though 12' and sell one off. Mm!

Reaction score
I've said it before,I have a 1lb 12oz t.c. Torrix,had it made up,beautiful rod,but I have a Normark Bob James barbel twin tip and an Insight both 1lb 4oz t.c. so wouldn't chase any more,lol...

chevin4

Reaction score
Well I have the 1lb 6oz Avon,I bought mine from Davis tackle in Christchurch,ready made,in fact I used it for my barbel fishing last Thursday....
Alan unless I am very much mistaken there is quite a difference between the 1lb 6oz Avon and the Chimera 1.25tc. I had a pair of the 1lb 6oz but found them too stiff for perch and roach. The Chimera is much softer and through actioned making it superb for perch and roach but lacking the steel for barbel. A good friend of mine has a pair of the Chimera 1.25tc built by Mark Tunley he loves them and ideal for roach fishing on his local pit.

chevin4

Reaction score
By coincidence there is a pair of torrix 1.1/4 on eBay now, new too. I think they have been out of production for about ten years or so. According to reports on this site around 2010 they were highly recommended. Tempted to try and buy even though 12' and sell one off. Mm!
My friend has a pair of the 1.25 12ft Torrix rods. I tried them personally I found them too fast tapered and tippy. Personally I prefer through actioned rods the most versatile I have found in the Harrison range 12ft Chimera 1.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I have a pair of Chimera 1s. I mainly used them for tench fishing with alarms and bobbins, and on one or two occasions a bit of light barbel fishing on the Severn, am not sure of the test curve. They are nice rods, decent for touch legering for chub and light-ish barbel fishing (certainly not hit and hold type). Am not sure I'd be using them for roach and perch if am honest, I think there are probably better/lighter options.

hague01

Reaction score
Well I have the 1lb 6oz Avon,I bought mine from Davis tackle in Christchurch, ready made, in fact I used it for my barbel fishing last Thursday..
cheers for that guys. Much appreciated. I suppose it comes down to what comes up first. I will let you know what it is when I get it. Many thanks again for the input.

Reaction score
I wouldn't roach fish with a 1.25lb t.c. let alone a 1lb 6oz rod,roach fishing is like tench fishing to me,float only,helicopter rigs are horrible inventions and should be banned imo...

chevin4

Reaction score
I wouldn't roach fish with a 1.25lb t.c. let alone a 1lb 6oz rod,roach fishing is like tench fishing to me,float only,helicopter rigs are horrible inventions and should be banned imo...
Alan I think you will find that the Chimera 1.25 is perfect for short range gravel pit roach fishing using bobbins or swing tips in conjunction with small feeders it is a very soft rod totally different from the 1.6tc version which is built on a standard blank. Dave Lumb who knows about these things describes the rod accurately on his website.

chevin4

Reaction score
I have a pair of Chimera 1s. I mainly used them for tench fishing with alarms and bobbins, and on one or two occasions a bit of light barbel fishing on the Severn, am not sure of the test curve. They are nice rods, decent for touch legering for chub and light-ish barbel fishing (certainly not hit and hold type). Am not sure I'd be using them for roach and perch if am honest, I think there are probably better/lighter options.
I purchased mine with a view to using them at Tring for long range fishing for perch with feeders and found them ideal having a very forgiving action. They have a test curve of 1lb 8oz as you say they are not a hook and hold rod but for barbel fishing on small rivers they are ideal.

waldi

Reaction score
I fish rivers where the only thing that will touch a pellet (robin reds) are chub. Krill and halibut don’t catch at all.

I got a 1.25lb torrix on the advice of Harrison’s for fishing natural baits and can’t imagine anything better for the angling I do.
Makes a great roving rod, ledger or float.
Much better than the 1.25lb Avon rod it replaced.

Reaction score
Alan I think you will find that the Chimera 1.25 is perfect for short range gravel pit roach fishing using bobbins or swing tips in conjunction with small feeders it is a very soft rod totally different from the 1.6tc version which is built on a standard blank. Dave Lumb who knows about these things describes the rod accurately on his website.

Not saying it isn't,doesn't alter the fact that fishing for roach with a 1.25lb t.c. is simply something I would dream of doing,ever,not saying others shouldn't however,i've done it,it's a great method,but a poor way of fishing,there is no pleasure in it,other than the numbers game for size of fish,yuk,it is like carp anglers putting double figure tench,or 3lb roach in the media when they are fishing 3.25lb t.c. carp rods,piss poor angling wise,I wish every bream on the lake on them,lol...