Has barbel tackle gone to far?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brill! I do like innuendo! **** Emery was very funny! Cheers Ian!:)

There's loads of his episodes on you tube if you ever feel like watching them. I do like **** Emery and he was always a favorite of mine as I was growing up along with Benny Hill and the Ronnies :).
There isn't anything on the box remotely like them any longer!

dicky123

Reaction score
John, all.

May I ask a polite question. Do you then have another set of tackle you use on the non tidal Trent? I expect you do.

The thread poster has all my support, I agree 100% too many carbabelers use far too heavy gear, and get all defensive about it. They use it exclusively on all the Trent, even in places where a ounce would suffice. They do simply yank the fish in, not play them. Barbel have little chance on 15lb line and 20lb hooklink. Most fish on the middle Trent are not doubles, so why use such tackle ALL the time. Yes you could hook a 20 but that's called sport.

Binka kindly sent me a photo of his rod bending under strain. When I get a new rod I almost always test its capacity against the line I'm using. I know 8lb line will not break on my three current Trent barbel rods. So why would I use much heavier?
People don't seem to want a fight anymore, just a photo to admire. For me it's the bite, and then the protracted fight, not always knowing who will win. Yes, shot me I like to give a fish a sporting chance:eek:
No offence given or taken, just my view. Well done thread starter.:)

****y.

thecrow

Reaction score
Some stretches of the Trent demand stronger tackle and its not because of the size of the fish, its the methods employed that do. The tidal Trent is one of those places but I also know of swims on the none tidal where this applies.

Frequent casting of big heavy feeders will take its toll on lesser strength tackle to a point where your 1.75 rod is nowhere near 1.75 through constant over stressing of the blank, they are not built to cast 4/5 or more ounces repeatedly, yes its possible to "lob" that weight with one but cast?

Line strength used on the Trent has nothing to do with the size of the fish and everything to do with the Trent being one long snag, I would bet money that the majority of fish lost on the Trent are lost because of cut offs, anything an angler can do to minimise these shouldn't be ignored and to do so shows no respect for the fish the welfare of which must come before any thoughts of "a fair fight".

To be honest I think that some of what was posted by the OP is dangerous to the very fish he professes to care about, as for being able to "winch doubles in" just laughable.

The fish must come before whatever the angler wants or thinks is fair and if that means using heavier tackle to achieve that so be it.

john step

Reaction score
John, all.

May I ask a polite question. Do you then have another set of tackle you use on the non tidal Trent? I expect you do.

The thread poster has all my support, I agree 100% too many carbabelers use far too heavy gear, and get all defensive about it. They use it exclusively on all the Trent, even in places where a ounce would suffice. They do simply yank the fish in, not play them. Barbel have little chance on 15lb line and 20lb hooklink. Most fish on the middle Trent are not doubles, so why use such tackle ALL the time. Yes you could hook a 20 but that's called sport.

Binka kindly sent me a photo of his rod bending under strain. When I get a new rod I almost always test its capacity against the line I'm using. I know 8lb line will not break on my three current Trent barbel rods. So why would I use much heavier?
People don't seem to want a fight anymore, just a photo to admire. For me it's the bite, and then the protracted fight, not always knowing who will win. Yes, shot me I like to give a fish a sporting chance:eek:
No offence given or taken, just my view. Well done thread starter.:)

****y.

Just seen this post. Not sure how long its been here.
I can fish the lower or tidal with lighter gear in lower flow or nearside swims. On the bend for instance where the main flow is close, BUT there are places where I want to chuck a heavy weight out a considerable distance.
I wouldn't like to chuck 5,6 or so ounces out to reach the flow and the tree line on 8lb line and my 1.7 barbel rod.
I am not giving any more clues but it a very pleasant section it just requires a long chuck.
There is another very deep narrow spot where the current is so concentrated you need at least 4 ounces to hold bottom and no get pulled into snags even in low water conditions.

I tend to go over the top with line bs due to the rocks and snags in places.

So depending on the swim choice when I arrive I have a choice of rod. You can't always get to fish the spot you want, so if I have the big guns with me I can cast to somewhere that I have never seen anyone else cast to.

thecrow

Reaction score
For me it's the bite, and then the protracted fight

****y do you think that a protracted fight is good for the fish considering how hard they fight and the resulting build up of lactic acid or is it just about what the angler wants?

This is not a dig but a genuine enquiry because I would sooner not have a protracted fight with any species of fish.

xenon

Reaction score
****y do you think that a protracted fight is good for the fish considering how hard they fight and the resulting build up of lactic acid or is it just about what the angler wants?

This is not a dig but a genuine enquiry because I would sooner not have a protracted fight with any species of fish.

was wondering that myself-think it should be a balance somewhere between dragging them out and being under-gunned.

john step

Reaction score
It may be me being a 17 stone weakling but I have never, ever, ever been able to drag a barbel out no matter what tackle I have used.
Even the smaller ones put a very healthy bend and fight like stink even on beefed up gear designed to keep them up off the bottom and out of the snags.

There may be places where you can catch fish of a pound or two but I am talking about the normal range of barbel targeted.

ken more

Reaction score
Don't really get this. No matter what rod you use, are there not other "reliefs" for want of a better word, that can be used like line strength, clutch, back winding, moving, for example? Might be barking up the wrong tree here and miss understood the thread completely. Not for the first,or last time.:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Using heavier tackle be that rods, line or leads/feeders isn't all about what happens after an angler gets a bite, line for instance has to have some abrasion resistance or getting a bite could be the beginning and end of it.

Rods and leads are about the angler being able to fish how they need to on some sections of river nothing more, its certainly not about "winching doubles in" no more than using a 1.75 rod in circumstances where they suited to is about prolonging the fight with a fish.

Reaction score
Hi tigger. I said 6lb line tired the fish out too much mainly because of me being paranoid of it snapping and taking too much care landing the fish. With a 0.28lb mainline I use now I can put all the pressure I want on the fish. Maybe I could of back then. 6lb line straight through does take some breaking.

I am by no means a barbel expert, or even a particularly enthusiastic pursuer of the species, but I've had a fair number over the years from the Lea, Thames, Kennet, Loddon, Hampshire Avon, Warwickshire Avon, Wey and Western Rother. My two biggest were 14lb+ from a flooded Royalty, and 15lb+ from the Rother. Both were foul-hooked - one in the pelvic and one in the pectoral, and both were landed in under five minutes on Avon rods and 6lb line.

The larger of the two was a recognised fish caught three weeks before at 15lb 10oz. As soon as it surfaced I could see the line wasn't emerging from the pointy end but from somewhere amidships, so I clamped down hard and pulled it in as quick as I could. It's surprising what a good* 6lb line will do...

Now, I don't for one moment suggest that 6lb is all you'll ever need - I am quite prepared to step up to 10lb in really heavy or snaggy water, but I don't buy into the modern dictat that to use anything less than 12lb line and a 2lb test rod for barbel is irresponsible. As I once said (in exasperation) to a carpista who berated me for using 10lb line on one particular water 'if you care that much about their welfare, maybe you should quit trying to stick a hook in 'em'.

*Maxima - not this high-tech low-diameter stuff.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I meant to post something on here when this thread was fresh but never got round to it.

My preference for barbeling on the Wye is 12lb mainline and 10lb hooklength, for two reasons: one, I don't want to lose a feeder on every cast and I feel that 12lb is about right for pulling them out. And two, I do like to play the barbel relatively hard and get them in the net as soon as possible.

I didn't really appreciate this until I witnessed someone hook, play and land a barbel on "standard" feeder gear, 4lb main and 3lb h/length. The chap in question had come and had a chat with me as he made his way to the river, and told me a number of times that he'd never caught a barbel and really wanted to. Then about 30 mins later, he starts shouting to ask me if I can help him land a fish. I reeled in and went down to his swim, where his rod was hooped over and his clutch was singing, at which point he told me about his 3lb h/length. To cut a long story short, it then took him a very long time - 15mins plus - to get this fish anywhere near the net (it was about 4 or 5 pounds, no monster). Getting to watch someone else go through this made me realise that I would generally get a fish like that in significantly quicker - though that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy the fight... close to the net, it might have taken a couple of yards off my clutch, and my rod would have been properly hooped; anyway, after a protracted fight and a number of failed attempts, he finally steered this fish in to the net, and here comes the real crunch: the fish bellied up straight away and wouldn't right itself in the net. He was desperate to get it out, whereas myself and another angler who'd joined us by this point gently suggested that it would be better rested. The other chap - who'd been walking past having packed up - told me to get back to my fishing, saying that he'd assist the angler who'd caught it get the fish recovered. I did just that, and saw the packed up angler come past my swim about 10 minutes later to say he'd finally got the fish recovered and returned. During that process he'd also had a bit of a word with the chap about considering upping his tackle a bit...

Now, the reason I bring that last bit up is because I've never had an issue getting a wye barbel to go back. I'd not seen what an exhausted fish even looked like. Seeing it go belly up was actually quite chilling! And not something I'm really keen to see again.

So in conclusion, I think there's a balance between a number of things. Firstly, a totally exhausted fish is an accident waiting to happen and we should avoid it. Secondly, the fight should be enjoyed - but not prolonged; and thirdly, just like in sea fishing - the actually winching ability of the gear you use isn't always going to be chosen on the basis of the requirement of catching the fish, it might also have something to do with the state of the river bed (rocks, heavy weed, etc)

Just my own thoughts, obvs....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The belief that playing a fish for a longer period of time on lighter tackle tires it out more and makes them go belly up is a total myth. It's playing a barbel hard that causes them to go belly up. I know because most of my barbel fishing is with 4 or 6lb mono and a float rod and even in hot conditions and low water they always leave a bow wave as they bolt off when released. On the other hand when i've used heavier tackle I have had them go belly up and they've needed to be held upright for a few minutes before being released.
The harder you play a barbel the harder it will pull back (same goes for a lot of other fish also) and so playing them with lighter tackle for a longer period is far better for the fish. Playing them harder is another cause of mouth damage as it causes tears in the flesh, especially as larger hooks are usually used with heavier gear.
If I do use heavier tackle, and I do if legering for them I still try to coax/play the barbel in rather than put on lots of pressure.

dave m

Reaction score
That's a bit of a red herring right there. A test curve is a measure of how much weight it takes to bend a rod through ninety degrees. It gives no indication of how much pressure can be applied by that rod. Rods do not get to their test curve and suddenly do no more. It's also true that, in some situations, you can apply more pressure with lower test curve rods.

Hardly scientific, but it's a reasonable demonstration of why test curves alone are a bit of a waste of time.
YouTube
they start off saying due to the stretch in mono you cant put much pressure down the line to the fish, then go about doing a comparison and use mono on one rod and braid on the other. :eek: