Heavy groundbait

Tree123

Reaction score
Weird* question

*What is the heaviest groundbait you can get? As want to*start baiting up the river. But its quite deep and balls to break up slowly.*

Was thinking vitalin or maybe a method* mix.*

I dont really want to be messing round with soils and leams as it all gets a bit complicated

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a tip.

You can change the time it takes for a ball of groundbait to break up by squeezing the ball really hard and then wetting you hands and covering the ball with a coating of the water. This will let the ball sink much quicker and then take longer to break up on the bed of the river.

The mix noted by PC above is a heavy and sticky mix but if you want it to carry a lot of hook bait samples then you can always add in some PV1 binder as well.

rayner

Reaction score
Most river mixes are on the heavy side, there are plenty to choose from look around, see what you fancy.
Sorry, I can't give you a particular ground bait I haven't fished rivers for over 20yrs. I have seen in the tackle shop when I've been reading the back of bags that Dynamite baits do a big fish river mix I think Sonu does a river mix also.

Richox12

Reaction score
Just add a % of gravel. Cheap, easy & heavy.

If you want to add lots of grub then also make a sticky mix.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Try Original Vitalin,whizz it up in a food processor if too coarse - the river carpers first used it,mixed correctly it should settle on the bottom and break up slowly

Another Dave

Reaction score
I haven't tried yet this but my solution would be to make the balls up at home with a stone in the middle and then freeze them.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Believe it or not soil works really well ...... the best to use is soil from mole hills as it’s fine ........ mix it with your chosen ground bait and it helps it sink and it sticks together great.......
Gravel also works people usually add this to bread crumb to help it sink ........
Leam is another that people use ..... it’s basically clay and sinks really well and is sticky.....

Tree123

Reaction score
Try Original Vitalin,whizz it up in a food processor if too coarse - the river carpers first used it,mixed correctly it should settle on the bottom and break up slowly

Cheap too.

I dont want to be using leam and soil as much eaier ro justmix one thing

Paste paul

Reaction score
The stone may help but you’ll find the balls will float if frozen...

I once froze some ground bait I thought it would be an economical way to use old bait.......
I’d put some sweet corn in it and what I’d didn’t realise is when you freeze tinned corn it floats.......
You can imagine my reaction when there was frozen corn all over the place.....
The ducks loved it !

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Further to my previous post,vitalin can hold a large amount of hemp/sweetcorn etc before losing its solidity.