Heavy type of wood for a new float.

rayner

Reaction score
What would you suggest as a heavy wood for a new float that up until now is in my head?
I need it heavy to cast with a limited shot for up in the water fishing for silver fish.
I know lignum vitae is heavy but not buoyant, maybe Oak or Beech could be the answer. A little advice would really help.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Why use wood if having limited shot.
Use a drinking straw with a piece of welding/brazing rod glued in one end and the other end sealed. Once you have got one how you want it, cut a few rods to size, fit and seal, stick in polystyrene, tin of car paint and spray paint the tops,
I have some I made years ago still going strong,

rayner

Reaction score
No, Mark, it's to fish on a whip around 6 metres the weight of the float is the casting weight.
It's also a bit of a bolt rig for fishing six inches deep. The float I have nagging at me would be one to two inch long.

Aknib

Reaction score
How about balsa with some wire stem inserted into it?

The balsa is easily worked and sanded to length and shape, you could then experiment with the length of wire that you need to balance it perfectly, maybe even multiple lengths of wire as they could easily be inserted and hidden inside the body of the float.

I've got some wire stems for stick float making and could cut some down and post a few to you if you want to try it... I've also got some balsa bodies which might be just the job so I can chuck some variations of those in too.

seth49

Reaction score
Beech branches cut from a tree, actually sink when fresh cut, might be ok when dried, Alder might be worth a try, as it is waterproof, it’s what they use for clog soles.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I made some floats out of reed stems once, they were heavy and only needed one shot and the weight of the bait to cock them, a bb I think. I cut the stems when they were matured, brown, old and hard. I wanted the same as Rayner, but something I cast into a small stream over a a lot of vegetation. The problem was the stream was only about 4ft across in places and the wind would catch a light float and blow it into the bank vegetation, difficult to avoid even in a light breeze but I wanted something sensitive when in the water. These worked ideal for that job. I cut them either side of the knuckles, varnished and painted them with a whipped ring. I lost them when I had a load of stuff thrown away accidently which is a long story but I will make some again when I get round to it. I caught a lot of rudd in the stream and they would lift the float out of the water like lift bites or pull them under with ease.

davebike

Reaction score
I made somthing like this once simple softwood dowl painted with swivels in both ends as a controler type float If I was doing it again I just use welding rod in one or both ends and foloat rubber

chrissh

Reaction score
Gray, Could you adapt a jigger float ether by adding a steam or a small stop shot to hold it in place

s-l1600 (2).jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Some very good ideas, the float I was thinking about would be no more than 1" from top to bottom with the top around the size of a one pence piece.
A sort of mushroom shape, the weight is for casting on a whip.
Thanks for the offer Steve but it wouldn't be quite what I want, I have plenty of jiggers of various sizes Chris, also not quite right. The density of wood is great.
I considered Ramin it's available from local DIY shops Beech was another thought, trouble with Beech was getting hold of a piece.
Last night I had a phone chat with my son in law upshot was he's a friend who has a lathe in his workshop where he makes walking sticks, he's going to turn me some Holly to the shape I need.
Thanks for all the suggestions though they are all logged for future ideas.