Hello and advice wanted already!

Reaction score
Hi all,

lapsed member rejoining here, I remember everyone being extremely helpful before (inc Woody sending me some JW bite indicators for free! thanks again Woody!)

Allow me one which rod question and I promise to never bore you again!

For light commercial carping, tench and bream, would you buy;

Greys Prodigy Specimen 1.5lb/2lb

or

TFG Classic Big River Barbel 2lb

Ive got and love a JW Avon Quiver (Woodys previous advice) and although I quite enjoy using the quiver tip, don't get round to it much so that leans me towards the Greys, but then I probably wouldnt use one tip or other of that either!

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

cheers, Bill

Reaction score
Personally I'd go for the Greys.

You also might like to consider the Greys Prodigy Barbel (comes in1.5, 1.75lb and 2lb - 2 piece or 3 pc). It comes with an Avon top AND a quiver top with four push in quivers.

It's not just a barbel rod!

I have the 1.75lb - it also makes a good rod for fishing method feeder when using the quivers.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I would have to agree. I have 2 Prodigy barbel rods, both 3 piece, I use them both for virtually all my fishing. Have enjoyed catching fish from 8 oz roach through to double figure Barbel on them. Even landed my pb carp 30lb 3oz on the 1.75lb test. I use the 1.5lb test prob. the most esp on commercial carp waters. Although the 1.75 prob. gives more control, and gives a bit more confidence with heavier fish (10lb and up). If you do get one I hope you get as much pleasure from it as I have. All the best.

Reaction score
I didn't make a conscious decision to leave! Just forgot which email/password I used and then got involved in other things!

Circumstances now lead me back to fishing so I need to buy new stuff :j - reluctantly flogged my carp gear last year, now looking forward to a bit more variety, as circumstances again dictate that I mainly only get to fish commercials, don't feel the need to invest in a pair of broomsticks as seems to be the fashion in the shops round here.

My most memorable (not biggest) catch was a 14lb common using the JW quiver tip and 8lb braid mainline - great fun, and actually felt like sport not just cranking the fish in!

supgen

Reaction score
why you would want to change from the JW rod is beyong me :D unless you use an older version of the rod? the new ones are very capable on commercials, especially when using the avon top.

Reaction score
Jonnie,

I don't want to change from the JW at all, it really is a lovely rod but at 1.25 tc it struggles with heavy leads or pva bags if I want to fish at any sort of distance, which is why I thought the Greys 1.5/2.0 would compliment it nicely?

supgen

Reaction score
fairplay mate Ive just never been to a commercial place where distant was an issue? the 2ft extension allows me to get a good extra few yards and adds to the backbone of the rod.

I think barbel rods will fit the bill though if your looking for that extra power.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I remember everyone being extremely helpful before (inc Woody sending me some JW bite indicators for free! thanks again Woody!)

Geeeeeezzzzz! That was a llloooooonnnnnnnngggggggg time ago! I must have been drunk, but I do remember.

Bore us again, please do. Stick around this time.

Greys are introducing a new range in the new year, the VX Prodigy. A) this might interest you more, or B) you might get a better bargain against one of their current rods around Christmas.

Reaction score
Hi Woody,

Still got them bobbins, and still enjoying the JW avon that you championed at the time!

I will be sticking around this time, got sucked into carping back then, basically cos it was easy to find fisheries to cater for it in my limited fishing time, soon got bored with pulling overweight mirrors out one after the other though and concentrated on my other past time of road cycling / racing, unfortunatley, an injury has cut that hobby short so am gonna devote my spare time to more leisurely pursuits! Hopefully avoid any more damage and keep the missus happy (Im actually getting encouraged to fish more as long as Im off the bike!)

Have now joined a club, to try some more mixed fisheries. Ive decided to go for the Greys Specimen, so I've got a lovely float rod (ABU Suveran Match), The legendary JW 1.25tc and now the Greys, that should cover most things for a few months anyway!

Thanks again for your original encouragement.

Bill

emms1985

Reaction score
i have the greys and its a nice rod. i bought it as a surface fishing rod for carp and works great for everything. had a 22 on it and was a joy. would reccomend:)