Hello and help

swede

Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Simon, living in Sweden, though my dad’s from Buckinghamshire. Sweden is almost a ”lure only” country, I think it may be natural due to the explosion of Abu Garcia many years ago.

I feel a tad tired of it now and thought I might start fishing for Crucians, Tench and Roach mostly.
I have a Shimano Stradic GTM RC 4000 already but no rod.
For the fish mentioned, what would you guys personally opt for? I feel like I just need a good starting point.

Feeder or Float?
Or just go for a pole? (If Pole, please let me know what length would work in most situations. I do get that might be hard)

Where I live we have very few rivers but a lot of smaller lakes.
Might be quite stupid questions.
All best,

Simon

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Simon, welcome to the forum. ?

Going on the reel you have (Stradic GTM RC 4000) and your target species (Tench, Crucians and Roach) plus your seemingly preference for fishing a float; I would probably go for either a Drennan Tench & Bream float rod or maybe a Drennan Acolyte Plus float rod (not an Ultra which was primarily designed for lighter lines and for catching the smaller species).

There's a lot of other similar rods out there of course but that's what I would probably choose to use myself. Plus I can only really comment on rods and reels that I own and have used myself.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited:

swede

Reaction score
Thanks, Keith! I like the thought of a Drennan. Seems like quality rods.

Keith M

Reaction score
Of course you could always choose to use a Pole if you prefered; however it would limit you to only fishing within reach of the Pole; plus handling a large Tench that is trying to reach a far off lilly bed or trying to cast to a lilly bed away from you would be a problem with a Pole, so a float rod would seem a much better option ?

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hei,

Whereabouts in Sweden are you located?

In the area around Malmo there are some excellent coarse fishing rivers and lakes. In the rivers you'll find Chub, Vederbuk, roach and perch mainly with the ever present pike.

The Vederbuk (Ide) migrate in the winter and return around April when the rivers are just about full of them.

In the lakes around Skane you'll find a lot of Crucians where the best way to catch them is on light float gear with smallish hooks.

nottskev

Reaction score
If you find you like bait fishing you'll probably end up owning float rod, feeder rod and pole!
I'd suggest a float rod for sheer enjoyment with the species you mention. If you have lure rods, it's likely one or more of these will do as a feeder rod while you try bait fishing - fish that hook themselves on a method feeder of some sort will pull any kind of rod tip round regardless of what it's meant for.

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. In my limited experience of Sweden( midsummer in Börlange with son in law) there are more lakes than people. Try Fishernator , Waveinn and Fishdeal for good deals for goods shipped from and to the EU . I have bought a few large items from the latter based in Holland with no issues at all. Abu gear isn't what it was unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hi Simon,depending on budget you could buy two rods,but having the one reel Korum do a 10ft feeder rod for £29.99 and a float rod for around £50 I think,it all depends on your demands on quality,which obviously go up in price hand in hand,best of luck....

swede

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all your answers, truly appreciate it.
I’m thinking of maybe just start of with me old 8 footer, fishing the near margins and a tad further out. And buy myself a nice waggler rod till summer.

This feels like a really dumb question but… Can I use a pole float using rod and reel? I do like light floats. Was looking at the Guru MW Margin 0.4g floats.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course you can use a pole float on a running line on a rod and reel.

Keep the shotting simple, say just an olivette and one or two drop shot and use a float with the thicker part at the top so you can hold it back if needed. (think of a stick float in desgn)

Reaction score
As Peter says,of course you can,the only issues are wind and distance,as as soon as you go more than 6ft or so from the rod tip you will get problems...