Hello everyone

paul1210

Reaction score
Fairly new to fishing, took it up last year after buying a rod from poundland to go on holiday and quite literally got hooked. Now spend most of my time going fishing (weather, permitting to a degree) or watching fishing on the telly. It is doing my wife's head in a bit, but isn't that the beauty of sky+. tend to go to the Liverpool Leeds canal, but does anyone know any other good places in the Liverpool area for fishing. I've managed to go out twice this year. blanked the first time (but it felt good just to get out. the second time, I went to a smallish fishing pond, and caught a load of roach and 3 small carp (2 mirror, one common)

Paul

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello paul and welcome to fm and good look with the fishing

metta

Reaction score
Hi mate welcome to the forum. Do you still use your rod from Poundland?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Paul, sounds like you've got the bug ;)

The more you go the more you'll want to go...

Good luck mate, keep us posted on how you're getting on.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, Paul. Where madness combines with maggots.

If you want coarse fishing in the 'pool, Google 'Liverpool fishing lake' and you'll find a few in your area. The 'commercials' - i.e. lakes heavily stocked, mostly with carp - are well worth a go in the early days to get your confidence up but don't kid yourself it's proper fishing.

At FM, there is a culture of getting out to do some real fishing, on wild, unmanaged waters, from time to time. That soon gets your feet back on the ground.

If you get stuck for answers, ask questions - just use the appropriate forum in the list and you'll get answers. That's the kind of folk we are....

John McLaren

Reaction score
Welcome Paul, I am in the Liverpool area and grew up fishing the Liverpool Parks, mainly Newsham, and the St Helens AA waters. I haven't fished the parks for a long time but I understand they are pretty good and available free or very cheaply via a City Council ticket (Liverpool Direct will probably help if haven't already sussed that out) The Leeds/Liverpool canal's not bad but if you are mobile (or willing to use public transport) the St Helens ticket is a worthwhile investment also as it covers Carr Mill Dam, Leg O Mutton Dam and The St Helens Canal for not much more than £20 - it also gives you access to the Ribble at Elston (a fair number of tackle dealers sell the tickets). There are several commercials in the greater Merseyside area as well. Feel free to IM me if you need more info and Good luck.

paul1210

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
Metta - don't use the poundland rod myself anymore, my 5 year old son used it last year while I dragged him to the canal for a few hours and he caught his first fish on it before he got bored and wanted to go home.

still I'm sure he'll get some more use out of it this year when the weather picks up.