Hello FM gang!

T

The Newbie

Hi,I am new to FM..what a brilliant webby!I have recently started to fish again after a few years layoff.
Have started to put some tackle together and have just joined Burton Mutual Angling club..my fishing experience is very limited to say the least..especially on river fishing.. but I live about 300 yards from the river Dove..and can't wait for the new season to start. Have heard some wonderful stories about the Barbel that are in there.Thing is I haven't got a clue on rigs, bait,fish location etc..so any help/advise would be very welcome..and congratulations again on a brilliant website.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Is newbie short for newbile young vixen, If so ill come down to the dove and show u how to carry on,my misses would say id just show u a right carry on.Seriously your a lucky person living next to the dove . have a look at the rigs page it should give u some ideas to work on.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Hello the newbie, you just might find there is an experienced angler on the site who lives near you who will be able to meet up with you and help you on your way. I know a lot of anglers like solitude when they are fishing but personally I prefer some good company.

T

The Newbie

Thanks for the advice Daren and Richard...will check out the rigs page, and yes would always appreciate some company. Have only ever caught one barbel of about 2lbs..that was on the river severn..must be 8 years ago now..Suppose that is why I am a Newbie!

R

Ron Clay

And don't forget the Trent either. The barbel potential of the Trent is probably better than the Dove. There are some huge fish there. The Trent is far more daunting than the Dove of course. It's a much bigger river and takes a bit of understanding if you have never fished there before.

The first difficulty is location of the fish. I would personally keep clear of what I call the "going swims". Find your own barbel and on the Trent this is not too difficult.

Barbel on this river are found on gravel on the outside of bends. Take a spare rod with about a 3 ounce lead tied to braid, cast out ond feel for the gravel by winding in slowly.

If you fish the outside of a bend, you don't have to cast very far.

A general guide to baits is maggots and casters early season, and meat, boilies and pellets later. Lobworms make a good change bait. Use a long fluorocarbon hooklength, minmum 4 feet. Nothing under 10lb mainline and 8lb hooklength.

Good Luck

T

The Newbie

Hello Ron, never fished the trent..but have been down to have a look around ..my ticket covers me for a stretch at Burton and at Swarkstone..see what you mean about it being bigger it looks quite awesome! Thanks for taking the time to answer and share some info. much appreciated..will keep you posted once the new season gets under way and let you know how it is going.