Hello

JohnnyLarge

Reaction score
I'm just in the process of getting tackled up again after a 15 year break from fishing. I had all my tackle nicked and have had a family etc. Now I've got the bug again.
I'm not a match angler although have fished some club matches in the past. I used to be a member of Williamthorpe Angling Club in Chesterfield for quite a few years.
Everything seems to be carp based these days. What's the crack with that? Also 'pellet wagglers, commercial, margin fishing' etc. All new to me. I used to be a 'chuck it at the side of the reeds' man.

I'm on a proper budget for tackle and don't need anything flash. I just bought an Avanti Electron Power Active 12ft rod from Dragon Carp for £20 and a Leeda Carp Attack Freespin 30 reel from Leegem for £16. You couldn't get decent stuff for this price when I started fishing in the late 70's/80's.
I know Dragon Carp get a bit of a bashing at times but I'm local and popped in to get a look before I bought. I think I might go back for one of their keepnets (£10) I'm only going to be doing the occassional trip over the rest of the season. I'm on the lookout for some more budget items like a box (Ultimate RS3) and maybe a feeder rod.

I've been adding a few bits as I go like line, hooks, weights and have just got a Dean Macey 3 tube holdall.

I'm hoping to make my first trip sometime this next week. I hope I can still remember how to tie a spade end!:D

Cheers

John

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hello Johnny. Welcome to FM.
If you have a local Aldi try to pick up one of their tackle bags. Great value.
You will love those commercial carp fisheries, they are very successful for a reason. Give them a try and get a bend in your rod.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello johnny and welcome to fm

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Welcome aboard John, don't get caught up in the price of tackle, the fish don't know what brand your using. We all have preferences that grow with experience but you'll catch on your new kit just fine.

Top name by the way :D

Morespiders

Reaction score
Welcome Mr Large, it can be fun on here, enjoy it
£15 to the PASC coffers I hope Sir