Help please

drabone

Reaction score
Leeda LC100 Fly Reel
Hi
Being new to fly fishing I have just purchased a second hand Leeda LC100 reel. At present it is set up to wind with the right hand. Can this be changed to wind with the left hand and if so, how do you do it? Thanks

klik2change

Reaction score
Before you show them the clean pair of heels, you might like to ask them what sort of floats they recommend for trotting for trout with maggots - using a fly rod of course!

There may also be some lively comment about mass baiting, for at least a month before fishing [I have a stretch of the Test in mind, but wild horses would not drag the location from me!] with either chilli or garlic flavoured maggots. The baiting would be of the order of a gallon a day... Would red or white maggots be moire effective? I hope that would be enough to preoccupy the fish.

If anyone should be a little tetchy about such methods, please refer to Mr Chunky Monkey of FM.

I Thank You.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Be sure you really want to change it to left hand wind. As you are new to fly-fishing it might seem awkward at first but it feels more natural the more you do it. It's not often you actually use the reel for anything other than a line-storage device anyway so it shouldn't be a big problem.

If you do go on flyforums try not to mention groundbait. :)

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Drabone if you are right handed then you will want to change it to a left hand wind. All of the fly anglers that I know and have seen who are right handed wind and strip with the left hand.

Regardless of what Geoff says you will be using the reel as just more than storage device.

As soon as you have hooked a hard fighting fish, winter rainbow, sea trout, salmon, carp or pike you will want to get the line on the reel as soon as possible. That means winding in fast to get in control and play it off the clutch if required.

Again if you are right handed you will be casting with your strongest hand and the reel should be set for left hand wind.

If you leave it set as a right hand wind then you will have to faff about and swap hands at the crucial moment when you hook a fish.

Not only will this cost you fish because you are no longer in control but it will also feel totally unatural as you try to apply pressure with your weak hand when playing it.

If you are right handed you are correct in wanting to change it over. By leaving it and trying to adjust it will put you off fly fishing immediatly.

Casting is always made using your strongest hand and to swap over would feel totally unatural.

The reel set on the left hand wind is for right handed casters. If you are cack handed then leave it.

Try to find a local fly shop and buy a few items from them, Tell them you are new to the sport and ask them for advice. If you take the reel with you more often than not they will perform the simple conversion for you.

Good luck its a wonderful type of angling.

BC.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I echo what BC says mate if your right handed you reel with your left hand just like on a coarse rod setup

drabone

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advice and the humour. I am indeed right handed and needed to change over the winder. I have now done this and can't wait to get out and test the reel.
Thanks again

Drabone