Help! Which Carp rods are recommended for between £100 to £150?

Keith M

Reaction score
My son has been using a pair of my old Rob Maylin Carp rods which I used many years ago, but has recently had an accident and broke one of them and has now decided to buy himself a pair of his own Carp rods (about time too :)).

He was going to buy himself a pair of Greys Prodigy GT4 Carp rods (because he likes the ones that I use which are slightly older models), but before he goes out and spends his dosh on these rods I wondered if any of you have any other suggestions for other Carp rods of around the same price which we should consider; as neither of us have a great knowledge of what other Carp rods are currently out there now and how good they are?

Any suggestions before he spends his cash?

Thanks

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keith, it might be worth checking out ebay for some second hand ones.
Your lad would most likely get better rods in little used, or even unused condition for the money it will cost for new lower quality rods.

Keith M

Reaction score
What length and test curve are you thinking of Keith ,?
Have a look at The PI Tyson rods or Daiwa

He is like me; and much prefers a Carp rod with a lighter progressive and more forgiving action than a more powerful long distance rod that can set hooks at 100mtrs plus; because most of our Carping is done on the smaller estate type lakes and not large waters, so rods between 2.5lb and 3lb maximum and leads of up to 3oz max are all we need to use.
Rod lengths are less important and either 12ft or 13ft would be fine.

I’ll have him look at both the Tyson and the Diawa rods and compare them to the Greys rods, thanks Mark.

Keith, it might be worth checking out ebay for some second hand ones.
Your lad would most likely get better rods in little used, or even unused condition for the money it will cost for new lower quality rods.

Thanks Ian I’ll bear that in mind when he finally decides what he wants; although I know he will only be entertaining new rods from there if he’s paying with his own money; unlike me :)

Keith

Last edited: