help with a new pole!

dan nicholson

Reaction score
i am 15 years old and am fairly new to pole fishing, after buying a small margin pole at white acres im now hooked and have been reading the pole magazines like mad! i wil now be mainly fishing my local canal matches (hopefully!) and occasionally visit commercials. i have a 500 pound budget and i want a pole at least 14.5 meters, ive been told about the new maver 151 competition pole but am still unsure . does anyone have any suggestions on what to get?

Big Bazza

Reaction score
Absolutely Dan, I recommend the Garbolino Premier Legion a great starter pole and it is 16m but probably a little slack at its full length. Don't forget when you buy a pole of that size ie 16/14.5m and in that price range it will probably fish well from 13m and less. The garbolino is used by some of my match mates as their spare pole and I own a 2g10 preston and have the legion as my commercial tool. It is really good at 13m and ok at 14.5m as long as the wind does not blow. You can get them for £489 if you shop around.

Good luck Bazza

dan nicholson

Reaction score
Thanks allot barry ive heard allot about that pole as well and ill definately be taking a look. Any help will be appreciated at the minute and im just glad to have had a response. is the maver definately a no no then as i have heard they can be cause some trouble among anglers?

Many Thanks Dan

Big Bazza

Reaction score
I believe that you are either for or against Maver and I have never had a problem but others I know would not touch them. My mate and fishery manager of our local lakes broke a section on his first put in however he has had no problems since. I have the 2G10 Preston and have had problems with the No 5 section breaking so no matter how much you pay there will always be a story on how good or bad they are. Personally I would go with the Garbolino as I have never had a problem with them. Good Luck Dan

dan nicholson

Reaction score
ok thanks barry i thought it may have been down to personal taste among anglers like many things in shops

Reaction score
Hi Dan

There are quite a few poles within your price range on the market & I had the same predicament as you recently. I ended up buying a Shimano Exage 14.5 Metre Competition pole. It's light, pretty strong & easy to ship in & out. I bought mine secondhand on ebay for around £200, you can buy new for £350 I think best to shop around though. Work out how many top kits you need power & match kits & allow for elastication. The Exage is a really good pole for a starter/improver & £500 will easily cover the cost of the pole & other extras. Best of luck.

V

Vince Battams

Hi Dan,

Have you sorted a pole out for yourself yet and if yes which one as I too am looking for an ew pole primarily for canal work

dan nicholson

Reaction score
no sorry im waiting to save all of my christmas money and maybe get one from the ' go fishing ' show in birmingham . ive also bin down to watch allot of my local canal matches getting friendle with everyone and they have said i can get some very good second hand poles off of them so i would give that a go if i was you.

V

Vince Battams

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for prompt reply, I got two second hand ones but they more commercial type poles and a bit heavy and at distance a bit floppy I need something that is lightweight and at 14.5meteres still stiff

dan nicholson

Reaction score
no problem, allot of people have recommended me the garbolino premier legion and maver competition 151 ( but this is for my price bracket of 5 to 6 hundred so you may afoord more ) and they seem like good poles but i think you would probably better off asking someone who knows what theyre talking about properly as ive mainly been a carp angler and am just converting to match so i am not really full of helpful information lie a real pole angler is ( although ill try my best!)

p.s if u do find a good pole at that length you'll have to let me know so i can have a look myself !

many thanks dan

N

Netleymugfish

Hi Royffey, Northampton and Grand Union Canal and roach, bream, perch, ruffe usual canal species