Help with rod choice,

tilly05

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently using an abu garcia enticer pro, 10ft feeder rod. It handles my small maggot feeder well but when i switch to my small method feeder (15g weight) it bows extremely when loaded and makes casting a bit awkward. I'm looking for a good all-round rod as i dnt always fish same scemario, lakes/rivers/canal. So I'm looking for a rod that can handle a method rig but also give good feedback if i was floating, or trotting a river??
With so many rods out there to choose from I'm a little overwhelmed and dnt really know where to start.......
Budget, anywhere upto £100

Reel wise, I'm using a shimano omni x. Could really do with a reel for each rid so again, any ideas on a good reel for all round use.
I'm not targeting huge fish, im still new so still getting to grips with the locations and tactics so neither rod nor reel needs to be capable of landing jaws, but saying that if i did find a bigg one id rather land it than break a rod/reel
Thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
A rod suitable for fishing a method feeder is going to be quite different to one suitable for trotting a river.

For your hundred quid you'd be far better served splitting your budget and buying two separate rods.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I agree with Sam. Have a look at the Maver Abyss or the Drennan Red range. The Abyss match rod gets excellent reviews as does the 12ft Abyss X feeder.

You should be able to get both of the Maver rods and have change out of £100.

I think the Red match rod has been discontinued, but you may be able to find one - I was impressed with it when I had a go with one.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I agree with Sam. I think the Red match rod has been discontinued, but you may be able to find one - I was impressed with it when I had a go with one.

It was the Drennan Red range I had in mind. Just stopped short of making the recommendation as I've done little but have a waggle with them.
I believe that the match rod has just been renamed.

Drennan Red 13' Float Rod

Drennan Red 11' Carp Feeder Rod

Well under the £100 budget for the pair, leaving a little more for reels.

thx1138

Reaction score
Hi tilly,
a good option is a rod with two top sections - like the Korum rod suggested by Ryan01.

I've got a Ryobi Masterline John Wilson avon/quivertip rod. With the quivver tip top section attached, it is quite similiar in sensitivity to your Abu rod. It's also got a decent bit of backbone to handle bonus fish.
With the 1.25 lb TC 'avon' top fitted, it's much more beefy, and should be fine for a small method feeder.
It's a very versatile rod, I've used it for carp on surface baits, barbel on the river, and even a pike from a canal on the stronger top. I used it all the time for river chubbing, until I got a custom-built rod a few years back.
Mine avon/quivvertip cost £55 new. Sure you'd get a second hand one off Ebay, or there are similar rods out there new.

Good luck. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sorry, Gents,
I have a couple of the Korum Twin Tips. Nice enough rods, but not for float fishing.

ryan01

Reaction score
I've got the twin tips myself Sam but was talking about the twin top Quiver and 1.5lb tc standard top.
12FT MULTI QUIVER - RRP £89.99 - Tackle2U Price £80.99
Supplied with a quiver tip and a 1.5lb hollow tip, the Multi Quiver has been developed to cover the majority of tactics used on stillwaters and smaller rivers. Featuring a semi-fast through action, with reserves of power in the butt and forgiving tips.

I stand corrected tho if thats the rod you mean.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've got the twin tips myself Sam but was talking about the twin top Quiver and 1.5lb tc standard top.
12FT MULTI QUIVER - RRP £89.99 - Tackle2U Price £80.99
Supplied with a quiver tip and a 1.5lb hollow tip, the Multi Quiver has been developed to cover the majority of tactics used on stillwaters and smaller rivers. Featuring a semi-fast through action, with reserves of power in the butt and forgiving tips.

I stand corrected tho if thats the rod you mean.

Ryan,
No, the rod known as the Twin Tip is the 1.75/2.25 combo. However, the rod you are talking of is nearly as poor a float rod. Yes, you can use such light barbel/heavy Avon rods for float fishing, if you have to. However, I'd still suggest a proper float rod, even if it's a cheap one, in preference.