Help with set up!

ludlow86

Reaction score
Hi all.
Was just after a second opinion on whether my chosen set up is ok for a beginner/improver?

My float rod set up is: Maver Abyss X-series 11ft rod, Shimano Hyperloop 2500 RB match reel, Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting Clear Mono 4lb BS with 3lb hook length. To start I will be using a standard waggler just to get the feel for things again.

Any opinions or further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jason

joshua

Reaction score
Don't know if you have one already but a plummet is one of the most crucial items when float fishing.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi all.
Was just after a second opinion on whether my chosen set up is ok for a beginner/improver?

My float rod set up is: Maver Abyss X-series 11ft rod, Shimano Hyperloop 2500 RB match reel, Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting Clear Mono 4lb BS with 3lb hook length. To start I will be using a standard waggler just to get the feel for things again.

Any opinions or further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jason

Hi Jas,

Yer set up is perfect mate, I seriously can't see any problem what so ever :thumbs:

As the waters on a lot of venues IE rivers and canals are probably gonna be quite cold and clear see how you get on with bites and if it's slow perhaps yer hooks and breaking strain / diameter of yer hook length IE maybe go from 3 lb down to 2 lb or even 1.5 lb diameter of around 0.10 and maybe 0.8 if yer struggling for bites, this should also be combined with small baits like maggot, pinky ( smaller maggots ) caster and also small bread punch with just perhaps a small amount of liquidised bread for some feed.

If you decide to use bread punch or very small prices of flake on the hook it's advisable to use liquidised bread only with small bread hook baits :) don't over do the feed though as it can fill em up if fed to much, little now and again would be fine.

On the stillwaters and canals as we come into spring the fish should start to be a little more active and give a little better response to feeding in which case yer 3 lb hook lengths should be fine :thumbs:

Last edited:

ludlow86

Reaction score
Josh- Yes I do have a plummet. I have a massive list of things but didn't want to bore you with the whole list :D

Thanks for the advise though.

Mudlarker- Great advice cheers. I can see you becoming a great source of help in the coming months :thumbs:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Josh- Yes I do have a plummet. I have a massive list of things but didn't want to bore you with the whole list :D

Thanks for the advise though.

Mudlarker- Great advice cheers. I can see you becoming a great source of help in the coming months :thumbs:

Cheers Jas, glad to help mate :D