Help

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
I want to start fly fishing for game and course fishing. I have a normal rodlicence and need advice on a cheap starter kit but I am confused about fishing seasons for differnet fish and what can I keep etc. advice please

jon

M

Mark Frame

if i loose the connection this time im gonna throw it out the window.
dont bother with a kit they are usually a waste of money get yourself to a proper tackle dealer who sells a decent range of game gear if they dont sell alot of game gear find another shop.
set yourself a budget and stick to it .
the trout fishing season for rainbows goes on all year now at some waters brown the season finishes in october?
get some nymphs buzzers and lures and these will catch you fish throughout the year if you can get a lesson in casting from a stanic qualified instructor most waters have one if you cant afford that get on the water thrash it to a foam and some one will usually come along and give yoou a hand.
fish you can keep depends on the type of ticket you buy 2 fish ticket=take 2 fish
etc etc etc
a sporting ticket usually means take one fish and carry on fishing on catch and release (just like coarse fishing)
at the end of october you can only keep rainbows you have to put browns back although most anglers put browns back anyway.

dont think for one minute you can only catch trout on a fly plenty of carp chub pike and barbel have also been caught on the fly

M

Mark Frame

what area do you live in and i ll check out where you can buy tackle from?

J

Jonathan Faro

I live in essex angling essentials does a bit of fly gear. ta for teh advice I am oooking to target course fish as well as game fish esp chub when its summer and the rivers low. wqhy do ppl put browns back I will soon be trying out a little place just past heybridge forgoton what its called again

ta

jon

M

Mark Frame

i think people put em back coz
1. they are british fish rainbows are foreign (origionally)
2.I think they grow slower aswell?
if you live in essex can you not get to hanningfield rezzies?
someone there can put you right

J

Jonathan Faro

I may try that justa bit daunted by the size but my uncle want to go fishing with me and from what I've herad its cheaper to geta boat between two ppl at hanningfield then it is to go to a smaller stillwater.NE one know prices or seasons

ta

jon

P

Paul Fletcher

Jon

Last year I wrote a series for FishingMagic called 'An idiots guide to Fly Fishing'. Please don;t think that I'm saying you are an idiot!!! but its was a good beginners guide.

You will need to dig through the archived articles or mail Graham and he will point you to it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Fletch

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=574>'Idiot's Guide To Fly Fishing'</A>

J

Jonathan Faro

paul have you ever thought of becoming a clarevoyant (I hope you cna work out what that is from my spelling) from my ramblings on the forum you've summed me up perfectly.i am the person who cna claim that I'm ever knowingly understood ta everyone esp GM

jon

G

Gerry Castles

Jonathan, the reason why people put brownies back and why some fisheries require you to do so, is that they are usually native fish which will go on to reproduce if set free. The rainbows are stocked fish and are usually triploid fish with an inibilit to reproduce. They are replaceable,the nativ brownies are not so easy to replace.