Hempseed

D

David Whitmill

What is the best way to store cooked hempseed? Can it be frozen between fishing trips or is it best discarded at the end of the day?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Keep freezing it in plastic bags or bait boxes. And don't discard it even when it starts to smell a bit (but not too much). Fish, especially barbel, like it even better when it's begun to go off a little.

P

Paul Baxter

i have even used hemp that had started to ferment (by mistake) and found it was still brilliant !

D

Dave Johnson

i removed two inches of 'hair' from my hemp last Friday......bit sticky, but the barbel certainly found it OK

R

Ron Clay

Seed baits that have fermented a bit are extremely attratcive to fish. In fact fish love alcohol. We used to get a sack of dryed maize and throw it into a large plastic container. Fill up with water, add some sugar and brewers yeast and away you go. In about 10 days you will a magnificent smelling bubbling gunge that really attracts carp. Try it and see.

P

Paul Williams

I tried it Ron.........it tasted foul!!!! i had to put some Southern comfort in it so as i could finish the bucket.

D

Dave Johnson

I bbq Mine when it starts to ferment......., grilled with mushrooms+Magic......

M

Malcolm Bason

Dave -

"I bbq Mine when it starts to ferment......., grilled with mushrooms+Magic......"

Do you mean that it tasted magic or that they were magic muchrooms? LOL

P

Paul Williams

He wouldn't know!!!......the only reason he knows he has had a barbie is cos he comes round three days later.....still in the Garden!!!
David......sorry your serious question got steamrollered by a bunch of maniacs!!!!! LOL

M

Malcolm Bason

Yes, sorry David. You keep the hempseed mate, and as others have said - it is a good idea to freeze them in small or rather usuable amounts after you have prepared it.

The idea of soaking it and boiling is to start a kind of fermentation process off anyway, so even if you have taken a load fishing and it has been very hot, it will more than likely have simply fermented a bit more.

J

Jennifer Turnbull

Thanks Dave, I've never used it before so it will be interesting to try.

C

Carp Angler

Crushed hemp really creates activity and movement in the swim, you can see the swim working, it does just lay inert on the bottom like some groundbaits.
It's best used as a percentage of your total mix (about 30%)

F

Fred Bonney

Advice please;do you cook hemp before crushing? and for grilled hemp, the same question.

L

Laurie Harper

Fred, I find if you try to cook crushed hemp, you end up with a sloppy mess. It's also much easier to crush after the cooking has softened it. Never tried grilling it so can't comment - I'm lazy and buy it ready grilled.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Laurie,having only ever used whole hempseed as feed and bait,I thought that perhaps uncooked hemp liquidised, was an additive,to a feed,bit dry though I suppose.
Is the ready grilled dry?