Hempseed

A

adam scott

What is the correct way to cook hemp??? After several years of buying hemp ready cooked i've just bought a sack of hemp to prepare myself, but i cannot get it to split and show the white inside no matter how long i boil it for.
Before boiling it i have been soaking it for 24 to 48 hours but it makes no difference.
Am i doing something wrong???

Many Thanks!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I don't know if its the hemp you have got Adam. I soak mine in cold water for 24hrs, then bring to the boil, once boiling I carry on boiling for 20 mins. I've never had a problem using this method in over 30 years.

A

adam scott

Thanks Richard, that's what my said.
I'm going to buy some from another source and see if it makes a difference.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
And never throw away the water you boil the hemp in!!! Use it in groundbait. if u are not going to use groundbait freeze the liquid and take it next time.....

S

Stuart Harvey

Anyone used the hemp oil as like a bait dip. i reckon a bit of crust or flake dipped in it would work a treat.

N

Nick Austin

adam, i buy hemp and prep it myself as you do, and mine always splits...maybe you got a duff bag?......as for keeping the water, i put mine in an atomiser and use it to make my groundbaits up with! hmmmmmmm.....

C

Cakey

Adam try this ....get a bucket with a sealing lid ,put in the hemp and cover with boiling water and a bit of sugar,then seal the lid and leave overnight.
next morning you will have perfect hemp without all the messing about and without stinking the house out.

B

Budgie Burgess

Well b----r me Cakey.I use tons of Hemp and have done for years.No all about the flask trick but never thought of doing it on a larger scale.Do you have to pre soak it? Does it split? How much can you do in one go??

C

Cakey

no need to pre soak ,yes it splits,trick is the amount of boiling water needed to cover the hemp and a bit more must be ready.
oh and one more thing leave it alone once the lid is on !

C

Cakey

I forgot about the flask trick which is very good for small amounts.
Ive also seen the flask used where there waas a hemp ban, I could not work out why everyone turned up with two flasks and there was a cafe on site,until I was told.
dont like cheating though.

C

Cakey

Budgie,I do around 5k at a time in a 10k bucket ,leaves room for me sweetcorn etc.

C

Cakey

ps another tip leave it in the airing cupboard or heating cupboard.

B

Budgie Burgess

Cheers Cakey,you have just saved me hundreds of hours both cooking the stuff and clearing up after!All of the best tips are so simple and once you know them so obvious!Nice one.

J

jason fisher

you need to be doing a lot for the bucket to work or it doesn't stay warm enough to cook it. There's not enough thermal mass. I boil the kettle, leave it 5 minutes while my cup of tea brews then pour the water onto the hemp in the pan about twice the volume of water to hemp pluss one desert spoon of sugar per dry pint of seed. drink tea go to bed.
get up in morning switch on pan, and kettle, make cup of tea, drink cup of tea. switch off hemp pan pour into bait bucket go fishing. seems to work for me. the other thing is the warm water keeps your fingers warm on cold autumn mornings.

C

Cakey

Budgie try it ,it works but the lid on the bucket must be air tight !,which is why I use painters buckets (new ones not used)

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
If you want to take it a step further.....

Try a "Chilly Bin" or "cool box" I use them for preparing my particles (hemp is illegal in NZ) same thing though these boxes are insulated so heat/cooking goes on a lot longer...

W

Wolfman Woody

JUST A THOUGHT!! Has anyone tried a bucket of hemp/water with one of those outdoor pond heaters in it? If so how long would it take to cook it?

D

Denis Goulding

Hi all,
So let me get this right, 3/4 fill a bucket with hemp, cover with boiling water plus a bit more, so how much sugar do u add and do u add baking powder, then secure the air tight liod and leave alone..???

Regards,
Denis