Hi all newbie here

budsy

Reaction score
Hi new here, Used to fishing on a few of Scotlands lochs rivers catching mainly trout , but now stay in England
and sent for some sea fishing equipment rods reels and lines hooks weights via ebay
and have went 3 times fishing from pier into seae and caught so far several Mackerel , coal fish , dab and a fish I admit I haven't seen
before namely a Sea Scorpion which I wouldn't touch.. as locals telling me it is poisonous don't touch that fish :)
I never touched it anyhow.

Also last Thursday 20th August I caught a Mackerel as well as several I was told are Herring
being new to sea fishing I haven't much clue about what to do with herring which I took home 5 of them
put back a smaller Mackerel and some had got off also .. You guys confirm these 4 fish below are Herring ?
I know top fish is a Mackerel and was first fish I caught on Thursday past ..Pic taken just befor I washed under cold water
and gutted them and all put into deep freeze . Am thinking cutting up one or 2 herring into parts to use as dad bait next trip
this be any good to try ? Any answers much appreciated thanks in advance and if ok for eating whats best way to cook them ?

I know I like Mackerel done in silver foil wrapped in oven for around 1 hr Mmmm delicious

but Herring I aint a clue ? be good to know though ? :)

Attachments

• 20200820_234432.jpg
    20200820_234432.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Budsy welcome to FM

Buy yourself a fish smoker and fillet the mackerel, herrings and smoke them before freezing them

There go down nice with a salad

41qzQiwDkAL._AC_.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Herring are delicious. You can fillet them or just clean them and cut of the head and then roll in oats and fry.

budsy

Reaction score
Hi all thanks much all ,

chriss -As for smoking the fish I am not as keen on smoked fish like so many , but thanks all same crissh for this mentioning
as who knows maybe another person can see this and then decide to go this way and Enjoy his/ her meal.

wtthrough - cheers for welcome and tight lines on your trips in front of you .

@mikench - Also much thanks - How long do they take fried ? and can u do them in an oven wrapped in silver foil without the oatmeal ?

mikench

Reaction score
You can and I would say in the pan 3 minutes a side and perhaps 15 minutes wrapped in foil. You can marinate them in brine with spices. Smoked are best and they become kippers. Go to Craster on the NE coast for the best kippers and bloaters( whole herring) you can get.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Budsy, welcome to the forum (y)

I don’t like oily fish myself; whether it’s smoked or otherwise, but I love white flaky fleshed fish like Cod and I also like Trout. When I lived in Heston in Cornwall I always used to have a few small brownies in the fridge and freezer for my breakfasts which I’d caught from the stream at the bottom of my hill.

Keith

budsy

Reaction score
Hi Keith ,
I just am not as keen on smoked fish , but I like Mackerel and other oily fish ok , although also like flake fleshed fish alike that of Cod and like Trout also .. I think Brown trout are nice , not quite as meaty as rainbows but nice tasting .. Mackerel are a nice tasting fish also I found . Havent eat Pollock at all as so far havent caught one or purchased one for eating ..Whitings ok also for eating ..