Hi all

Ad0135

Reaction score
Morning all new to fishing forums completely so I hope this is the right place for this post, I've fished from an early age had many years off now at 27 getting back into it and safe to say I've got the bug back for it. Always coarse fished until now I've had a couple of outings in the carp lakes I'd love to have a crack at match fishing in Leicester not sure how the match scene works if there are beginner matches (newbies to match fishing)...any advice on match fishing would be brill..??

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome. There are a good number of current and past match anglers on here but they may not be familiar with Leicestershire. Enjoy your fishing.

Ad0135

Reaction score
Thanks mate just any general match tips a beginner may find useful would be great just about built my kit back up now so wont be long hopefully

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi and welcome to the forum,
My advice for matches would be to join a club that has matches, go along and quietly watch if allowed and see how the venue is fished. Ask questions after the weigh in on methods used and bait, show interest and you will get some helpful replies
What I wouldnt do is just turn up blind to the venue even if you had fished it a couple of times, You may catch a few, but come the match dont forget that there may be 20 others fishing same stretch and have regularly fished it.
Without sounding patronizing "Walk before can run"
Then you may find you do better in match than you thought, Everyone has to start somewhere,and to me asking questions is the first step.
What I wouldnt do is see an "Open" match advertised and enter it, These are venue regulars and will more than likely know how most pegs fish,
Most matches will be fished with a pole so if you do decide to enter matches make sure you have the best and longest you can afford even if you buy 2nd hand. Also need waggler and feeder rods,2 keepnets, it's expensive getting kitted out, but dont go down the route of buy cheap buy twice. That's not to say there isn't cheap good tackle out there,
Hope the above helps,

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Good advice about looking before running or you will end up as pools fodder.
Those that seem to do the best seem to have a different edge from the herd. If you do the same you will catch the same?
You do have an advantage however over some of the older anglers. (speaking as 70s age). Your eyesight may be better as so may be will be your reactions?
Best of luck

steve2

Reaction score
As an ex member of the pools fodder brigade I would suggest that like others have said start at club level. If you venture onto commercials you will find there are local experts that are always in the frame. Watching how others fish in matches isn't allowed on my local waters but that doesn't stop you watching on non match days

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It can take up to 12 months fishing regularly on a commercial especially one such as partridge lakes that uses different parts of the waters for matches to get an idea of how different pegs fish and which can be deemed a flyer, By going in blind you may as well throw your £20 in the water an sit the cafe having a brew and snack for duration of the match.
I have seen good anglers draw their peg ,saw which it is, and next minute on the phone to another nearby commercial to see if they can book on the match there.
Start with club matches that way you are fishing club waters instead of paying day tickets on a commercial to find out how it fishes. Get together with a few like minded anglers and fish the venue where club match is held few days before and all fish a different method or different baits to see which is working. That way you will have an idea for plan A, but always have a plan B in mind.
Or in my case a couple of times plans C,D,E,F,G,H.

Reaction score
Hi mate,there are a few regular match anglers on site,silvers(Alex) being one who really loves it,Peter Crabtree(Simon) too,some like myself fell out of love with it after a relatively successful match fishing 'career',dont hesitate ask questions,or personal message people,enjoy...