Hi from a newbie

Eldar Vanyar

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join the forum.

I first started fishing when I was 13 and was mad about coarse fishing until my mid 20s. I mainly fished on the Thames at Kingston, Teddington Lock, and various lakes in London including the Royal Parks. In my early 20s I joined a fishing club and matched fished every weekend travelling around the country.

Life and work got in the way and I haven’t coarse fished for 30 years. I have had the odd moment of sea or fly fishing but that’s it.

I have just had a weeks holiday in a lodge on a commercial fishery and spent some time speaking to the anglers there and watching them catch many carp.

I still have some of my fishing tackle but it’s all geared towards match fishing in the 1980.

I have had a look at what tackle I have left and it includes

Bruce and Walker XL Match 13ft float rod

Kevin Ashurst SV Carbon Match

Daiwa Harrier Ivan Marks MK2 13ft March Rod (New) unused

ABU Diplomat 601 Closed Face Reel

Daiwa Harrier 120 Closed Face Reel

My younger brother had my Mitchell Match 440a and Mitchel 300 reels as well as my feeder rods.

I live within a couple of miles of a commercial fishery and will be looking to fish there in the future. Whilst I used to fish in all seasons and weather I will probably look to mainly fish in good weather now. I am 53 and nearly 7 years post stroke with sight only in one eye so need to be careful.

Thanks

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Eldar and Welcome to FM

The fish don’t care how old you rods & reels are just up date the end gear and new line on your reels.

If you decide to go to a commercial fishery and feel you need a new rod have a look at The Tackle Box in Dartford there Darent valley rods are very good and wont break the bank

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to FM Eldar.

I’m another who fished Teddington, Richmond and Kingston. plus various ponds in SW London back in the late sixties, early seventies.

I look forward to seeing your return hopefully on the excellent HDYGO thread.

rayner

Reaction score
Welcome Eldar, most commies are stuffed with silverfish your tackle will be perfect for them.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Like others I too fished some of those venues. My favourite used to be Canbury Gds, and Ham on the Thames.
As Rayner says plenty of silvers for your gear in commercials.
With your experience you wont find any trouble in coming to a conclusion about a rod for carp float fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Eldar and Welcome to FishingMagic.

I also fished the Thames in the same places as you when I was younger.
I look forward to hearing about your exploits on the ‘How did you get on’ thread (y)

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
You are most welcome to join this forum and it's a pleasure to see a proper introduction made. I hope you will enjoy your fishing, learn from the many skilled and experienced anglers on here and make friends in the process. I am a lot older than you but with a similar history save for little or no coarse fishing for 50 years. I don't regret those years as I had plenty of other interests and still do. It's a great hobby. If I was to offer any advice it would be to join and Angling club or two. Not only do you get access to different waters but you make friends and save money. Good luck.

budsy

Reaction score
Hi Eldar ,

Welcome along and tight lines in the future to you also, we all learn as we go in fishing, no matter the type of fishing we are into .