Hi from Holmfirth, I'm looking to start river fishing

DTM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few days reading all I can. Never fished before.

I'm feeling the need to get out into nature and find some peace and quiet. To be honest I've been watching Mortimer & Whitehouse far too much and can't believe how much the places they go to calm me down.

I love a river but I don't really have any interest in carp/lake/commercial to begin with - I'd really like to find somewhere with nobody in sight and I'm not too fussed about catching at this point. That said I can't deal with tools that don't work!

I'd like to fish the Don, but could get to the Rother, Dearne or Dove (they're the ones I've read are good but I could easily travel 30 miles for a morning fishing), or anywhere recommend that's local.

I'm struggling to look for kit. I just want a decent starting point. I'm dubious about the quality of £100 kits on amazon but equally dubious about spending £100 on a rod and reel if I never use it again (but I know how I am and I'm really not likely to use something more than once if it's poor quality). What do I really need? I doubt I can use whips on the Don as I'm attracted to the more rural, overhanging, quiet stretches.

I'm not looking for big fish but I'd like my kit to be suitable if a few did come along - I think I'm asking a lot!

Really hope you can help, looking forward to any replies.

Kind regards
Dan

stevejay

Reaction score
I would suggest trying to find someone to go with at first, the you might not need all the gear you would for a solo trip, and have a greater chance of catching, and therefore wanting to go again.

Hopefully someone local might offer via this forum.

River fishing is one of the harder disciplines to start with. A still water would be my advice, even if only to "test the water" and see if fishing's for you.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few days reading all I can. Never fished before.

I'm feeling the need to get out into nature and find some peace and quiet. To be honest I've been watching Mortimer & Whitehouse far too much and can't believe how much the places they go to calm me down.

I love a river but I don't really have any interest in carp/lake/commercial to begin with - I'd really like to find somewhere with nobody in sight and I'm not too fussed about catching at this point. That said I can't deal with tools that don't work!

I'd like to fish the Don, but could get to the Rother, Dearne or Dove (they're the ones I've read are good but I could easily travel 30 miles for a morning fishing), or anywhere recommend that's local.

I'm struggling to look for kit. I just want a decent starting point. I'm dubious about the quality of £100 kits on amazon but equally dubious about spending £100 on a rod and reel if I never use it again (but I know how I am and I'm really not likely to use something more than once if it's poor quality). What do I really need? I doubt I can use whips on the Don as I'm attracted to the more rural, overhanging, quiet stretches.

I'm not looking for big fish but I'd like my kit to be suitable if a few did come along - I think I'm asking a lot!

Really hope you can help, looking forward to any replies.

Kind regards
Dan
Aye up, what's wrong with your local river ?plenty of trout fishing nearby and all wild fish

@Clive

Reaction score
Hi Dan, don't worry. You aren't asking a lot. What you have said makes sense for someone in your position.

The Don around Hillsborough is a small river and an 8' or 9' rod would suffice. Dawsons of Holmes Lane sell or used to sell rods they called River Don Specials. I have one. They ranged from around 5' to around 8' and were dead cheap. Or look on ebay or the freead sites for someone locally who is selling up . Don't be afraid to buy a job lot as you can sell off the items that you don't need.

A reel of 2000 to 3000 size would suit that river. You don't need a baitrunner, but it wouldn't hurt if it was one. Then you need something to sit on and a landing net. Plus all the little extras like line, floats, hooks, etc. If you bought a second hand job lot most of those would be included.

That sort of gear would cover the Sth Yorks rivers, the Aire and your local ones. I used to fish for grayling in Huddersfield town centre and down by the Salter Hebble near the rugby ground. And you have the canal too. Just be wary of the close seasons for trout and coarse fish in running water.

keora

Reaction score
I see that you prefer river fishing, which can be harder that stillwaters - limited stocks of fish, poor water quality, whereas commercial stillwaters tend to hold more fish and can be easier to fish.

Equipment for a beginner would be a float rod about 13ft long with a medium size reel and about 4lb line.

I fish the Wharfe and Nidd. I've never fished the area where you live and so can't recommend any good fisheries nearby.

flightliner

Reaction score
The river Don is near Holmefirth so why not start there, it has plenty of roach, trout, greyling and Barbel present to name a few.
You mention not minding being on your own which is fine, we all like to be once in a while but i'm thinking of your inexperience here so why not check out the Tin mill angling club at Deepcar down towards Sheffield.
They have a mile and a half of the Don under their control with all the fish presant previously mentioned.
The bonus could be (initially) that anybody fishing the lakes (two, one carp and one silvers) could help you if you were stuck with a method of targetting any one of the species presant.
If then you feel more confident you could move further downstream to be on your own.
Take Clive @nicepix's advice regarding any tackle, he's also got some u tube videos where he's fishing the Don in Sheffield, check them out on your tv.

DTM

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I do have one friend who fishes and lives localish, it seems like I'd be best starting with talking to him.

I'll have a search on here for recommended books as well. I'm struggling with all the terminology to be honest, I could do with a fishing for dummies book 😂.

nottskev

Reaction score
Talk to your friend. Go and watch him, or others, fish. An hour with someone who knows what they're doing will be invaluable in understanding what starter gear to buy, how to set it up and use it and how to start fishing in a way that's least likely to end in disappointment.

About 55 years ago, I set about teaching myself to fish, strictly solo. It took about a year to catch anything. Looking back, a couple of hours sitting with someone who knew a bit about it could have accelerated my learning and saved me from all kinds of frustrations and wastes of time and money.

@Clive

Reaction score
I was the same Kev. There were three of us without a clue between us. Then, about 18 months in I was fishing alone when a young man came to talk. He looked at my set up and suggested that I change it. He taught me how to plumb the depth, feed and tied on one of his own hooks to nylon. I learned and caught more in 30 minutes than the previous 18 months.

Mind you, he went on to coach two world champions so I reckon I dropped lucky :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I do have one friend who fishes and lives localish, it seems like I'd be best starting with talking to him.

I'll have a search on here for recommended books as well. I'm struggling with all the terminology to be honest, I could do with a fishing for dummies book 😂.
Only one book you need for impiration, its called Mr Crabtree goes fishing!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Holme and Colne it joins are both reputed to hold grayling and trout. Grayling are very obliging fish even in the coldest conditions. The more local you can fish in winter, the better. If you've travelled miles you somehow feel obliged to stay for as long as possible. Short sessions after travelling minimal distances can be a very good thing in the depths of winter.