Hi from South Wales

The Monk

Reaction score
I thought the delightful lady said dangler at first?

obviously in referance to a bite indicator

The Monk

Reaction score
hey Mr Viper, how come you`ve got 3 thousand plus posts, I thought you was a new kid on the block?

The Monk

Reaction score
well nice talking to you Mr Viper, I`m off over on jem.com now, catch you guys later

Last edited:

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
You should've seen him before he got his job Nick, the site was almost renamed StealphMagic. :)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Nah, mate.

The Job turned out to be a complete Farce.

To cut a very long and complicated story, short.

Yes, they were offering me a job, but, here's the good bit, they didn't have any hours for me to work, and, because it is based on a zero hour contract, you only get paid for the actual work you do.

So, i have stayed signing on.

I am using will power to beat my FM Addiction.

I do have an interview tomorrow, for a Fork Lift / recycling operative, so hopefully that will come through for me.

If i get offered the job, it will be on a 2 week work trial, i still get my dole money and the dole pay for my travelling expenses and my food.
If after 2 weeks both parties are happy it will be a permenant position, and if either party isn't happy, then it doesn't affect my dole or signing on.

And if the company mess me around, the dole office won't send anyone else there on a work trial.

Oh well, we shall just wait and see.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Being paid only when you work a shift is fine, but surely they should pay a retainer to keep you on their books if the shifts are in short supply?

Ah well, it's their loss Steph, best of luck tomorrow, that seems a better structure between the DSS, Employee and prospective employer. The way it is just now employers know it's beneficial to all parties to join these training and return to work schemes.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Duffy, I love your cheeky smile by the way, never new you were an angler though? :D;)

You get your 'Dander' up as often as you want, I know what you're on about, I only live across the bridge so I spose we speak the same, almost....

StealphMagic.......That's quality :D

Stealph have you got a truck licence? Get on an agency if you have mate, it could lead to a full time job.

Good luck tomorrow, I can't help but think it sounds a bit suss though. Are the company actually paying anything for your two week trial? Will they use you for two weeks then bomb you out? Sorry for sounding negative, fingers crossed it works out for you mate.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Good luck tomorrow, I can't help but think it sounds a bit suss though. Are the company actually paying anything for your two week trial? Will they use you for two weeks then bomb you out? Sorry for sounding negative, fingers crossed it works out for you mate.

Honestly, Steve,

I really don't think it's beneficial to them to have me for 2 weeks just to get free work from me, they have to train me first as this isn't my usual line of work.
I do have a FLT license (Fork Lift Truck) and i am already registered with Agencies and Job Search sites, the hard bit is getting the Interviews, although, i do seem to do well in getting interviews, just not landing the jobs, but, a lot of these jobs end up going internally anyway.

Thanks for enquiring though.
Being paid only when you work a shift is fine, but surely they should pay a retainer to keep you on their books if the shifts are in short supply?

Nope, they just offer you the job, you can start anytime you like, any training that you do, you don't get paid for the first 3 months, to stop people from getting the training and then just leaving to go work for another care firm once they have the qualification / Training etc.

It was a complete shambles.

The Monk

Reaction score
get down to the job centre and ask to see an LSC nextstep adviser, see if they can identify some proper training for you, there may be funding in your area to get more than an FLT licence, while JCP advisers have a discretionary fund ADF upto 300 quid to help support you with your job search, this can be used for training or to get you a suit for an interview

The Monk

Reaction score
I`m a firm believer in that you can do whatever you want to do, I`m not sure what your highest qualification is but for most academic study routes these days you would need levels 2 in numeracy and literacy. One of my local providers offers FLT reach, levels 2 in adult literacy and numracy and a level in in warehousing, I`m also finding lots of funding for CSCS construction cards leading to modern apprenticeships and SIA security licences/CCTV certification at the moment for my clients, along with SAGE electronic bookkeeping courses, but adcademic study of course will take you beyond these types of career options.

Last edited: