Hi I am 73 years old and fished since 8 years old. I now like to refurbish old cane rods and Mitchell 300/301 reels

Old fisher

Reaction score
I have just become a member after browsing this site and seeing an old mention about B James & Son S U MK1V rod. I noticed that members were calling it a Carp rod.
However, in a copy of an old B James & Son price list they never said the rod was a carp rod. In fact they state and I Quote " S/U MARK 1V FOR PIKE.Trolling and light sea work" Also saying, " Ideal for offshore or rock fishing for pollock and bass. It is capable of handling large pike and casting a bait a great distance"
As I am a new member, please forgive me if this subject has already been covered in the past. I welcome any replies that may correct me or help increase my knowledge of the subject. I do actually own 6 B James MK1V rods = 1 x S/U 2 x Avon and 3 x Carp

Keith M

Reaction score
The S/U in the name means 'Stepped Up' so I wouldn't be surprised that it could be used for Pike angling and which could cast a dead bait or live bait out and pull home the hooks better than a standard MKIV carp rod.

I have a B. James & Son Richard Walker MKIV Carp rod on which I caught my first Barbel and my first Double figure Carp on back in the 1970s.

Keith

Last edited:

Old fisher

Reaction score
The S/U in the name means 'Stepped Up' so I wouldn't be surprised that it could be used for Pike angling and which could cast a dead bait or live bait out and pull home the hooks better than a standard MKIV carp rod.

I have a B. James & Son Richard Walker MKIV Carp rod on which I caught my first Barbel and my first Double figure Carp on back in the 1970s.

Keith

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi Keith Thank's for replying. I myself had my first 27 lb Mirror Carp in 1979 from a lake in Kent. I know you said it could be used for Pike but that is what it was intended for so actually it is more correct to say it could be used for Carp as it is a pike rod. I like using the B James rods but I find the
Edward Barder MK1V to have a little bit more feel than the James. Also the Barder Bishop is better than both as it has a little more power in the middle and bottom sections I've got the James Mk 1Vs for Barbel though I have yet to use them on the Trent.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You sound like you know your stuff regarding cane rods Oldfisher!
I don't know if there are many members on here who actually use cane rods.
The only forum I know of who are obsessed with cane rods is Traditional angling forum.
There are some of us on here who like to use centrepin reels which many associate with cane rods.
Are you a centrepin enthusiast?

Old fisher

Reaction score
yes I have four centrepins but don't use them much. I do have all the latest baitrunners and carbon rods etc. As I have become less active especially during this outbreak of bat flue I have taken to rebuilding split cane rods. I look on ebay until I find a rod suitable, and buy it. Then I completely strip it down to the bare cane and rebuild it with new cork handles ferrules and eyes and re whip all the cane and finally varnishing them. I have refurbished
5 rods this year so far.
Perhaps I may have joined the wrong group/forum as I have never done this sort of thing before, so you may not hear much from me in the future. I will take a look at other sites to see if there is one that may be more suitable for me. I thank you for contacting me, and giving me help and also encouragement to take part in this kind of thing

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying you shouln't post on here, I was just pointing out that I don't think there's many fm members who do much with cane rods. I may well be wrong and there may be more cane rod users than I realised, but even if i'm not wrong, i'm sure there will be lots of members interested in hearing about cane rods from you.
Infact, i'm sure only recently someone on fm was considerring buying one. Maybe they'll see this and pipe up.

steve2

Reaction score
I would also say Traditional Fishermans website is a place where your love on cane and rebuilding rods will fit in well. No matter how good they are just don't mention Carbon rods.
Stay a member on here also.

Old fisher

Reaction score
O K. I will give it all a lot of thought, and thank you both for chatting with me. I thought I would just add a little extra info. about myself.
My wife and I were both born in kent and we lived there for 65 years before moving to where we now live in Warsop Notts in 2012. I am a member of 4 angling clubs and also The Angling Trust, The Notts Wildlife Trust and the RSPB I've not caught any monsters over the years and my P.Bs are
Common Carp 32lbs Mirror Carp 30lbs Pike 21lb 12oz Bream 11lb 2oz Tench 10lb 8oz and Eel 7lb 6oz That's it really.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I use cane, glass and carbon rods, although I have as many cane ones as glass and carbon put together! I also use old centrepin reels for most of my float fishing and old Mitchells for legering. Your PBs are all a lot bigger than mine...

Old fisher

Reaction score
Thank' for the interests. I must admit to mostly using carbon rods now but cane rods have a lovely feel when playing sizeable fish and as long as you use the right b.s, line with each cane you never have line breaks or hook pulls. When ever I use my cane carp rods I always use Mitchell 300/301 reels.
I have a collection of the Mitchell's because of problems with both my shoulders sometimes fishing right hand but I am a lefty, I have 17 300/301s
I used to in the past make my own floats but now I have a collection of floats made by Ian Lewis,

steve2

Reaction score
O K. I will give it all a lot of thought, and thank you both for chatting with me. I thought I would just add a little extra info. about myself.
My wife and I were both born in kent and we lived there for 65 years before moving to where we now live in Warsop Notts in 2012. I am a member of 4 angling clubs and also The Angling Trust, The Notts Wildlife Trust and the RSPB I've not caught any monsters over the years and my P.Bs are
Common Carp 32lbs Mirror Carp 30lbs Pike 21lb 12oz Bream 11lb 2oz Tench 10lb 8oz and Eel 7lb 6oz That's it really.
Not caught any monsters,your PB's are big fish what ever you measure them against.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank' for the interests. I must admit to mostly using carbon rods now but cane rods have a lovely feel when playing sizeable fish and as long as you use the right b.s, line with each cane you never have line breaks or hook pulls. When ever I use my cane carp rods I always use Mitchell 300/301 reels.
I have a collection of the Mitchell's because of problems with both my shoulders sometimes fishing right hand but I am a lefty, I have 17 300/301s
I used to in the past make my own floats but now I have a collection of floats made by Ian Lewis,

There's a few mtchell reel fans on here!

I'm not one of 'em though lol.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi Steve 2 I measured them against my old mates and my Grand sons who i have given all my pike gear to. Last week at a water near here one of my grandsons who is just 16 years had a 23lb 8oz Pike and another grandson had 2 at 12lbs & 13lb 8oz

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You sound like you know your stuff regarding cane rods Oldfisher!
I don't know if there are many members on here who actually use cane rods.
The only forum I know of who are obsessed with cane rods is Traditional angling forum.
There are some of us on here who like to use centrepin reels which many associate with cane rods.
Are you a centrepin enthusiast?
I wonder what line he uses ? ?

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hello Old fisher and Welcome to FishingMagic . . . .

There are plenty of cane users who frequent this site so feel free to ask an questions.
One problem I have when I refurbish old split cane rods is finding a supplier for the tip rings. These red agate rings are only available in smaller sizes.
I have picked up a few on ebay. The people who still make split cane rods seam to get hold of them but as yet I have not found out where from.
Guides and Blanks still supply the other chrome rings but they only do quiver tip smaller tips

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
One problem I have when I refurbish old split cane rods is finding a supplier for the tip rings. These red agate rings are only available in smaller sizes.
I have picked up a few on ebay. The people who still make split cane rods seam to get hold of them but as yet I have not found out where from.
Guides and Blanks still supply the other chrome rings but they only do quiver tip smaller tips

I suspect a lot of red agate tip rings get cannibalised from otherwise 'wrecked' rods. If you think the red ones are rare, have you ever tried to find a white/clear agate butt or tip ring? Talk about rocking horse poo...