high or low

P

p jackson

is low water channel fishing better than high tides ? are is it luck of the draw.

P

p jackson

hi you lot not, has no body got any answer's.to make thing's easy i fish the flyde coast

S

Stewart Bloor

If you are fishing an estuary such as the Dee (Welsh) then low water can be very productive. The beach, at say Talacre, at high water is very shallow, but at low water you have access to the deep water boat channel, as the tide has receded. It also means that the fish are concentrated more than at high water.
As for general beach fishing local knowledge is very important. Some beaches fish best at low water, some at high. Most will fish a couple of hours either side of each. Try and find out what your specific beach responds to. Local tackle dealers are usually very helpful - particularly if you spend some regular money with them...

P

p jackson

thanks stewart would like to try ribble estuary which part? and what fish to target with which rig. waiting until better weather as this will be a new venture

S

Stewart Bloor

I don't know anything about the Ribble estuary, which is why I used the Dee as an example because I've fished there a lot. But I would have thought low water was a good bet, and probably a couple of hours either side of it as well. But again, local knowledge is important.
Regarding species, I would have thought flatfish (flounders, dabs and plaice) were the main species with whiting and codling in the winter. I'm sure you'll get a run of bass as well in summer.
I'm sure a 3 hook paternoster rig would be a good start, fishing with worm baits.
But again, I stress, I don't know the Ribble estuary and so local knowledge is probably more useful. My contribution has probably been more of ageneral nature rather than specific. But I haave fished the Dee and Mersey estuarys in that part of the world and the above info would be applicable for them, so i assume for the Dee?

S

Stewart Bloor

Regarding weather, don't let adverse conditions put you off, sea fishing is the one branch of the sport that excels in winter with cod, whiting etc all putting in an appearance. There is a lull when the winter species lave and before the summer ones appear. But now would be OK to get out I'm sure.
For specific spots to fish talk to a local tackle dealer or go for a walk and talk to the fishermen.

P

p jackson

thanks again stewart fishermen never seem to be about just wrong timeing i guess weather never put me off but would be better safe than sorry. i'll try taverns tackle in lytham next time i'm there .

A

Alan Roe

I also fish that area you have two options you can choose to fish from the sea front at high tide though there are only a few tides a month that make it a worthwhile proposition these are the ones that are over 9 meters. The sea front is best fished at night you would normally expect to get flounders and the occasional bass with eels from time to time.
If you wish to fish the channel the outfall area is as good as any short casts are the order of the day the catch will again be mainly flounders with the odd bass. When fishing the channel you will need to pick tides big enough to go all the way out to the channel anything over 81/2 meters should suffice.
Cheers
Alan

P

p jackson

hi alan never actualy seen one of you guys out there but never mind theres time yet.i need some more infor please mostly for the channel stewart says acouple hours either side of low water is this for here? and the outfal area is at the end of wall streat out at concret post yes?(Tackle)3hook pattern and worm bait as stewart suggested grip or plain weight there are alot of razershells about are they as good as worm all infor most welcome

A

Alan Roe

It would take a major essay to answer all your questions in depth!
Stewart is correct in his statement about a couple of hours either side of low water being the best time to fish the channel.
You are right in your observation about the location of the outfall pipe though don't get fixated as fish will be found all the way up the channel!.
Out by the channel wall you will tend to find that crab will often outfish worm baits though worm will still catch.
I prefer flowing traces that have plenty of movement in them to attract the fishes attention. That having been said use some common sense in this area and vary the length of your traces according to the strength of the water's flow.
The same thing is true of your choice of lead this will need to be changed with less lead needed during the low water period more weight and anchors will prevail when the water is running strongly.
Practice and experimenting will eventually give you a feel for the place and it's fishing.
do be careful out there though and preferably fish with a companion as there are some areas of quicksand which can be dangerous.
At high water you may find that worm does better than crab but this is because there are worm beds close to the shoreline which become more obvious in the summer months.
The presence of these worm beds gives a vital clue as to where you should be casting!!

P

p jackson

all answers are now being diguested and time to plan a trip thankyou again alan and stewart for the infor and will let you now how things go but if you think of anything else please let me now

P

p jackson

alan thanks for the infor again tried ribble est today and had a good season all fish were over the lb mark do the bass frequent at low water? and boy does the tide race in!

A

Alan Roe

Hi yes the bass can be caught at low water around the Petes light area though high water is usually more reliable for them. I suspect it will be another month before they become viable though